2 kinds of People

ZombieCake

Looks there are two kinds of people in the world, at least on Mendip. .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2w9X_tHU7k
Anyway Ennio Morricone vs John Williams... hard question to say who's best. I'd call it a draw.... As ever comments please.

royfellows

There are two kinds of people

The quick and the dead

How fast can you react and move, this goes for everything. Caving, martial, whatever
In a mine in the north Pennines a belay failed and I fell 12 feet with a sump below and very close.
I kicked off the wall and cleared it.

Rolled down a slope and got up with a few bruises.

I was quick and still alive.

royfellows

Yes, Caplecleugh explorations years ago.

A chap I will call Billy G was there, his comment was, "One minute you were climbing, the next flying through the air, never seen anything like it"

or similar

Goydenman

wow..quick thinking and moving
Reminds me when digging floor of passage in Harrogate Hole a team member shouted and I instinctively moved right as the left wall peeled away. I was stood in the alcove with this wall leant over against the right wall. I climbed out without even a bruise....phew

royfellows

Off topic but I nearly bought my ticket home twice in Capecleugh.

In the 1990s I was climbing all the ladderways I could find trying to get up to the high level. Succeeded in the end, with some help.

Anyway, I climbed an air pipe to reach a ladder with the bottom section missing. Yes, I tugged at it, thumped it, did everything I could think of to test it, but when I actually got onto it the music started.

I fell backwards into water which broke my fall, if there had been a rock there it would not have been the fall that would have been broken. Hit my head on the opposite wall and totaled a fiberglass Joe Brown helmet, remember them?
Ladder came straight down, missed my chest by inches.
Got up and walked away.

Funny old thing, but years later in there with someone I will call Ian H we found the ladder, and Ian found bits of blue off my helmet still on the wall.

After a while you stop thinking "This is it" and start "Oh no not again"