Have you returned your CRoW Ballot yet?

Have you posted your CRoW ballot paper yet?

• Yes

Votes: 38 95.0%
  • Not going to

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheBitterEnd

N.B. this is NOT asking which way you voted, just whether you have posted your ballot paper.

The point of this is to save everyone the bother of keep banging on in other threads, when a significant number have returned their ballot, there is simply no point in trying to persuade people of which way to vote. By then, if this previous poll is anything like representative there will be a majority yes vote.

cavermark

Good idea.

I haven't returned mine (because I am away from home so I haven't picked it up yet) but I have made my mind up, so I won't be swayed by 3 or 4 people banging on with the same old arguments.

Blakethwaite

TheBitterEnd said:
The point of this is to save everyone the bother of keep banging on in other threads,
Not sure that I would agree with that!

I think that I'm right in saying that originally many on the pro-CRoW side were simply intending to ignore any agreements and to the devil with the consequences on the basis that they somehow knew how things would or would not work out. Clearly a blatant fallacy. There was you will recall wild-talk of pointlessly adversarial 'see you in court tactics' and so on. The 'banging on', as dreary as much of it has been, appears to have brought wiser heads on board who are actually prepared to find out what some of those consequences are and how they might be managed.

There are enough requests for censorship on here at the moment (mainly coming from those with the loosest gobs!), encouraging more can't be healthy.

Bottlebank

Blakethwaite said:
TheBitterEnd said:
The point of this is to save everyone the bother of keep banging on in other threads,
Not sure that I would agree with that!

I think that I'm right in saying that originally many on the pro-CRoW side were simply intending to ignore any agreements and to the devil with the consequences on the basis that they somehow knew how things would or would not work out. Clearly a blatant fallacy. There was you will recall wild-talk of pointlessly adversarial 'see you in court tactics' and so on. The 'banging on', as dreary as much of it has been, appears to have brought wiser heads on board who are actually prepared to find out what some of those consequences are and how they might be managed.

There are enough requests for censorship on here at the moment (mainly coming from those with the loosest gobs!), encouraging more can't be healthy.

Agreed. The vote is simply the start of a what could be a very long process, which at the moment seems fairly unlikely to succeed unless Defra/NE change their view.

There are still some on the Pro side who seem to think a "yes" vote gives them a right of access. It doesn't.

Spike

TheBitterEnd said:
N.B. this is NOT asking which way you voted, just whether you have posted your ballot paper.

The point of this is to save everyone the bother of keep banging on in other threads, when a significant number have returned their ballot, there is simply no point in trying to persuade people of which way to vote. By then, if this previous poll is anything like representative there will be a majority yes vote.

Because 119 is a big enough sample of the 6000 members balloted right? And of course it's bound to be representative too...

Many outside the UKC "bubble" had little to no idea that this was coming - whether they should or not is a moot point. Chances are they will be coming to this site to try and find reasonable arguments in either direction, and as yet reasonableness seems to have eluded many of the postings on this topic.

Some level of continued debate allows these newly interested parties to see that this is still a live debate, that neither path is free from risks, and then hopefully they can weigh up the contributions of those who have had more time to investigate this and come to their own conclusion.

I'd like to think that for the next couple of weeks up to the ballot deadline we could all try and engage in some constructive conversations on this topic, to the benefit of all those who haven't yet made up their mind, but I'm no ordinary idiot...

crickleymal

I think the sooner the mods lock any thread concerned with CROW the better. It's taking up most of the new threads and simply seems to be peole gainsaying each other and insulting each other.

TheBitterEnd

Spike said:
Because 119 is a big enough sample of the 6000 members balloted right? And of course it's bound to be representative too...

Well I did say "if this poll is representative" and AFAIK the sort of polling that is done for general elections samples about a few thousand people out of something like 40,000,000 voters to get a statistically relevant sample so 119/6000 is not bad*

*I know, I know, it wasn't scientifically selected and anyone who posts on UK Caving is obviously some some swivel eyed loon and not a "proper" caver, etc. etc.

Spike

TheBitterEnd said:
...anyone who posts on UK Caving is obviously some some swivel eyed loon and not a "proper" caver, etc. etc.

We agree on something then, eh?  :beer:

TheBitterEnd

Blakethwaite said:

It is not a request for censorship at all, people can and no doubt will carry on grinding their particular axes (me included) long after the ballot and long after the lobbying and long after we are all dead (I fully intend to come back and haunt this site). It is merely an attempt to slow down the pace a bit, if most votes are in then I for one will be far less motivated to campaign with regard to the ballot.

Now, did someone mention that this might affect digging?

badger

I will vote once my voting slip arrives. unless of course the Royal have lost yet another letter to my address.

droid

I have returned my vote.

In deference to the request bu the OP (which some people appear not to have read/understood) that vote will remain secret.

bograt

droid said:
I have returned my vote.

In deference to the request bu the OP (which some people appear not to have read/understood) that vote will remain secret.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:, Considering your publicly made views, I think a guess would be accurate Driod  (y) (y) :thumbsdown:

JasonC

badger said:
I will vote once my voting slip arrives. unless of course the Royal have lost yet another letter to my address.

You're not alone, Badger.  Anyone else not got theirs yet?

damian

JasonC said:
You're not alone, Badger.  Anyone else not got theirs yet?
If you - and anyone else still waiting - PM (or e-mail) me your name and address I'll let you know if we have sent something to that address or if BCA holds a different address.

Please note I won't be able to give you any more information to ensure data privacy.