What caves are going to be rigged during the BCA AGM weekend?

David Rose

It's been suggested that some caves will be pre-rigged during the BCA AGM weekend (the meeting is on June 9 at Horton in Ribblesdale village hall and bed spaces may still be available at the YSS hut) so that members can enjoy a trip without having to bring their own tackle.

Is that still going to happen? If so, which caves will be rigged?

damian

Yep - I'm doing it the week before. To be honest there is no plan as such and it is likely to depend on weather conditions (during rigging and also the forecast for the weekend itself) as well as how many people are likely to be turning up. (Unless, that is, anyone else volunteers to do some rigging, in which case there will be more caves rigged!)

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Can I ask what is the rational behind rigging caves for the BCA AGM weekend.  It is a lot of effort for those rigging and derigging caves for others.  Surely cavers are capable of rigging their own caves if they want to go caving that weekend.  Or if rigged caves are so attractive won't cavers be drawn to them rather than attending a rather boring meeting.

Perhaps a better incentive to attend the AGM would be for each attendee to receive a goodie bag/gift such as a copy of Northern Caves or Caves and Karst of the Yorkshire Dales or....

David Rose

I think the rationale is just a hope that if they think they can get an easy trip without having to carry any bags on the Saturday, more will attend the AGM. After all, some of the obvious contenders, which are ok in most weathers, such as Quaking Pot, do contain numerous pitches. Many cavers from the south would leap at the chance to go down there, I am sure.

damian

Badlad said:
Can I ask what is the rational behind rigging caves for the BCA AGM weekend.
I don't know. I'm rigging them because I was asked to, to be honest.

I guess it is in the hope that it might attract people to weekend in much the same way as it did with EuroSpeleo. It will certainly be helpful to those who don't feel competent enough to to rig for themselves but are happy to follow others. It probably also makes it easier for several parties to do the same cave on the same day and makes a particular trip a bit quicker, so those who do not cave up north very often can do more trips in a day. Many will, of course, prefer to rig their own caves either so they're doing the trip 'properly' or so they keep away from the masses. At least, that's what I'm hoping or there are likely to be some very busy pre-rigged caves!

southpembscaver

David Rose said:
I think the rationale is just a hope that if they think they can get an easy trip without having to carry any bags on the Saturday, more will attend the AGM. After all, some of the obvious contenders, which are ok in most weathers, such as Quaking Pot, do contain numerous pitches. Many cavers from the south would leap at the chance to go down there, I am sure.

Getting down Quaking and back out in time for an afternoon meeting would be impressive rigged or not...

alastairgott

On the website: http://british-caving.org.uk/wiki3/doku.php

"Activities on the Saturday of the AGM weekend will be based at the YSS. Caves being pre-rigged by YSS members are Swinsto to Valley Entrance (incl. Valley Entrance pitch); Ireby to Duke Street via Ding, Dong, Bell; Alum S.E route and Dolly Tubs all to the bottom.The SRT facility will be available all day and QMC members will be on hand to assist with SRT training from 10.30am till 2.30pm. BCRA members will be running a water tracing workshop - all places are now allocated.
The YSS guest accommodation for the weekend has all been pre booked by BCA. If you wish to reserve a bed for either the Friday or Saturday night please e-mail "

damian

I can confirm that what alastairgott quotes above is correct, as I did them last weekend. I have to say, though, that the forecast for Saturday probably makes all these unwise as things stand at the moment. It looks as though levels will be falling again on Sunday so they might be alright then (but you'll all be at the AGM anyway, of course, so that won't matter!)

Please check forecasts nearer the time, as well as conditions on the ground though, rather than just following my advice above.