"The Darkness Beckons" 1st edition (1980) For sale

jonnyrocketboots

This is a book I would like to have a good nose into. However I have no time for mucking about on E-Bay.

What would you like in exchange for your book?

Scott

Bob Smith

graham said:
crickleymal said:
I've got a signed first edition. I wonder what that's worth?

Mr Oldham'll probably offer you a fiver for it.

a few years ago I sold one for ?20, but last year Tony Oldham offerd me a lot less. I guess he needs to keep his funds for photocopying...

moorebooks

I'm not one to defend Mr Oldham as he does this very well for himself  but it is his living and pensiion top up similar to myself - I reckon a fair valuation and trade offer for sought after volumes could be up to 50/60% of the volume if buying one offs that are turned back into cash reasonably quickly. You have to remember it ties up cash there are overheads in selling and buying - card charges, service charges (fleabay)  envelopes /packaging  However what often happens you are offered a collection and you will be sure to be offered numerous copies of descent, caves and caving, bcra poublications, cave science and numerous other books of low value - often seen on my stand at Hidden Earth T ?2 - ?4.

We also end up with some rare and obscure publications - if you can understand French / German/ Spanish/ Slovakian etc have a look www.moorebooks.co.uk but these don't sell overnight and will hang around for months / years till someone unlocks the treasure chest.

Yes offering a fiver is demeaning but maybe ?10 - ?15 is realistic, depending on condition, rarity, quantity  and demand

Mike

Mike

rhychydwr1

moorebooks said:
We also end up with some rare and obscure publications - if you can understand French / German/ Spanish/ Slovakian etc have a look www.moorebooks.co.uk

Mike

I did, but I could only find books in French.  Where are the rest?

No wonder you cannot sell them  :tease:

moorebooks

"I did, but I could only find books in French.  Where are the rest?"

You didn't look very far if you go into Caving on my website you will see it is broken down into categories , including spain, Germany and France the books are in the various languages and may also include english translation

I haven't had time to breakdown all the stock into sub categories but having the largest stock  :tease: of used caving books in the UK  its hardly surprising

Mike