Parking for cavers in Matlock Bath

Jenny P

Parking for cavers in Matlock Bath

An issue has arisen re. the parking place in the little lane alongside the New Bath Hotel in Matlock Bath, which is often used by cavers when they visit Devonshire Cavern or Wapping Mine.  Very recently a person living in one of the large houses at the far end of the lane has placed parking cones across the entrance to the lane - presumably to prevent people parking there. 

We are not sure who owns the lane, or even if it is public, but from a caving point of view, it would be useful to know if parking at that location is still allowed.  (It is a standard RV location for DCRO callouts invoking caves or mines in the area.)  DCA will be checking on the situation as soon as possible but, for the time being, we would suggest that cavers wanting to visit either of these mines use the public pay-and-display car park.

Jenny Potts,
DCA Hon. Secretary

AR

AFAIK the land belongs to the New Bath Hotel, someone care to do a land registry search?

owd git

If the cones were on a sat' eve, it is to prevent grockles parking willy nilly to see fireworks, regardless of locals wanting to escape from thier homes.
there are designated parking places for the row of houses on the A6, and I believe it is an adopted road. not ovned by the hotel I'll go check.
O.G. 

Jenny P

The situation re. parking in Matlock Bath for cavers visiting Devonshire Cavern or Wapping Mine is now clarified - thanks to Nigel Atkins for the information.

The space at the side of New Bath Road (opposite the New Bath Hotel swimming pool), is owned by the New Bath Hotel but the manager has no objection to cavers parking there during the day.  (The cones were placed earlier in October to stop people parking for the evening for the Matlock Illuminations.)  Just make sure that you don't block anyone off when you park and everything should be fine.

Jenny Potts,
Hon. Sec. DCA.