Black Mountain Caves

ryanctj

Just looking for a bit of advice. I'm new to caving but have done a few trips into OFD1 and 2, with the OFD1 round trip being the most technical I have done to date, and had no issues with. I'm thinking of exploring a few other caves nearby, and Llygad Llwchwr and the Ogof Pasg/Foel Fawr through trip seem to be within my ability from what I have read . I have copies of the surveys for these caves but have a few questions which I would be grateful if someone can assist with, thanks:

1) Are these cave prone to flooding in any places in wet weather?
2) What tackle is required to get into the river chambers in Llygad Llwchwr?
3) Will I come across anything tougher than the OFD1 round trip (i.e. squeezes, climbs)?
4) Are these caves relatively straightforward to navigate with the surveys?

NigR

To answer your questions:

1) River chambers in LL can become 'interesting' in mega flood and are best avoided in such conditions. Low level route in Ogof Pasg can sump off for long periods but it is possible to bypass this by going over the top (tatty handline for pitch down usually in place but better to take your own tackle).

2) Short ladder and lifeline (or SRT rope) for one of the river chambers (can be free climbed but is awkward).

3) No, although one squeeze just after the Foel Fawr connection will most likely be much tighter than anything you have experienced in OFD (will not be a problem unless you are fat!).

4) Yes, but try to navigate without the surveys if you can (take them with you but only consult them if you absolutely need to).

Hope this helps. Where are you based?

ryanctj

Thanks Nig, that is a great help. I'm guessing that squeeze is the one over the fallen slab, if so I'm looking forward to that one. I think I'm slim enough to make it through! I'm in Ystradgynlais.