Good gap year destinations/best place for outdoors or caving

C

Caver

Hi all,

I'm looking at taking a year off after college this year. So looking at some destinations for some good outdoor activities while still being cool for someone my age :D Somewhere far away would be quite nice, Europe doesn't seem like enough of a challenge at the moment. Does anyone have some thoughts? Anything appreciated. New Zealand?

rhychydwr1

NZ OZ Malaysia USA Canada - all almost civilised, with plenty of caving clubs that welcome Pom cavers.  Just google them.

Vietnam, Laos, Thailand.  A bit more tricky.  Not many local cavers.  You need to buy a guide book.  :eek:  Sorry, should have said that.  Please delete the last sentence.  :-[

big-palooka

Hi Caver

I'm from UK but in north island New Zealand now on (extended volcano) vacation.

The caving here is superb.  Even more dramatic in South Island so I'm told.

The local clubs are all really friendly, and with luck I'm planning a third trip this weekend with the Auckland Speleo Club as a UK guest.

Paul C

oli

Caver said:
Hi all,

I'm looking at taking a year off after college this year. So looking at some destinations for some good outdoor activities while still being cool for someone my age :D Somewhere far away would be quite nice, Europe doesn't seem like enough of a challenge at the moment. Does anyone have some thoughts? Anything appreciated. New Zealand?

Just out of intrestst why do you think New Zeland would be more of a challange than europe? unlike in Italy they all speak english, making life so much easyer.

What about the Balkans? It looks better than it sounds, and ruomer has it Slovenia has some fantastic caves

pete_the_caver

If you want a challenge, arrange to do a mid winter push in Twin Traverse Tomo in the South Island of New Zealand.  This should add about another 300m to the now 1000m deep Ellis system.

SamT

Slovenia has it all, caving, climbing, walking, canyoning, biking, rafting, canoeing, and all in the most stunning scenery. Easy to get to other places (i.e. Croatian coast for some DWS if that takes your fancy??) or home if you need to. 

Mrs Trellis

Left field view - try Jamaica. Cheap to get to now with regular charter flights, loads of caving - Cockpit Country is just south of Mo(ntego) Bay.  Lots of adventure things to do eg wild swimming with manatees, bobsleigh run in the rain forest, 8000 foot mountains. Civilised r'n'r and all the weed you can smoke. Avoid Kingston. Move on to Cuba, Bahamas, Florida, Costa Rica, Mexico but..... by air as ferries don't really run in the Caribbean. You could always hitch a ride on a cruise ship.

ian.p

Come out to the dachstein in austria theres an anual british expedition made up largely of students that goes out for a month every year. Its an excellent first expedition with everything from easy bimbly trips to some of the hardest vertical caving going
FB group: http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=326434950043&ref=ts

C

Caver

big-palooka said:
Hi Caver

I'm from UK but in north island New Zealand now on (extended volcano) vacation.

The caving here is superb.  Even more dramatic in South Island so I'm told.

The local clubs are all really friendly, and with luck I'm planning a third trip this weekend with the Auckland Speleo Club as a UK guest.

Paul C

Awesome! Do you have any tips for travelling around NZ, what to look out for etc?

oli said:
Caver said:
Hi all,

Just out of intrestst why do you think New Zeland would be more of a challange than europe? unlike in Italy they all speak english, making life so much easyer.

What about the Balkans? It looks better than it sounds, and ruomer has it Slovenia has some fantastic caves

Good point, I think maybe in terms of the distance away it's more of a challenge. Italy means it's a skip and a jump home if I feel like it.

Thanks everyone for suggestions so far, I still like the idea of NZ I must say

C

Caver

Hey Paul, thanks! Can't see anything at the moment. Chuck them up here if it's easier, then others can see too

pete_the_caver

Just a thought on NZ... The South Island 'caving season' is has now finished until Christmas.  There will be caving occuring in the south over the southern winter in easily accessible locations but the higher altitude caves (eg the Ellis system) where most of the exploritory caving is occuring, are usually only pushed during longish expeditions due to their remoteness and surface conditions.

Be warned... Kiwi cavers are notoriously unhelpful these days if you drop in out of the blue.  The North Island has fabulous caves but it can be very difficult to find someone these days to guide you.  Last time I was home, I had problems contacting land owners for permission to enter caves. If you want serious caving then it is best to have organised a place on an expedition before you go.  send an email to the NZSS for more info and contacts.  There should be loads going on after Xmas both in the Ellis system on Mt Arthur and Bulmer on Mt Owen