Venezuela-Brazil

nickwilliams

Ian,

I had a plan to organise a trip to this area many years ago (it was going to be the next thing after Belize, but I then got sidetracked) and somewhere I probably still have a file of info. I collected. I'll see if I can dig it out for you if you want.

Nick.

graham

Ian

Take a quick look at http://www.ubss.org.uk/resources/proceedings/vol20/UBSS_Proc_20_3_187-200.pdf if you Google the clearly Brazilian author you'll find an email address. I'm sure he could help.

seddon

OUCC were on Roraima tepui (Venezuela) in '05. Go to the Oxford Uni website and you'll find a write up there.

Worth a visit but access is delicate (or physically very difficult, depending on where you go)

ian mckenzie

graham said:
I'm sure he could help.
Could, and has.  Awhile back he told me that in February Brazilian cavers explored a new deep tepui cave, Abismo Guy Collet, at -671m the deepest quartzite cave in the world.  All the deep ones are in tepuis. 

BTW, tepuis have been exposed to the elements for over a hundred million years, the oldest surfaces on earth.  Apparently their caves are formed by solution, which makes them karst features?

Darkstar

I was caving out in Brazil with a local group in October 2007.  Let me know if I can help with contacts etc.

Darkstar

I went to Sao Paulo State and visited the caves in two of the State Parks (PETAR and Intervales).  It was a really good trip, I spent two and a half weeks out there as a friend was getting married.

Gina

ian mckenzie said:
Where'd you go and what'd you do?  (sorry for this late reply; just got back from the Bahamas :) )

Ooh, where did you go in the Bahamas?  I have not long got back from there  8). I visited some sub-aerial caves on Eleuthera and Long Island, really fascinating systems, plenty of bats and cockroaches, and lots of friendly people  (y)