PVC Caving Suits

MPC-Robin

I'm having to face accepting that my old Meander caving suit is finally past it .... it has been patched numerous times and  still has numerous holes.

So I'm looking for a new PVC caving suit, I have seen the threads about the new Meander and the Warmbac but a friend has a Landjoff suit from Bulgaria. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of these and how they compare to the Meander & Warmbac ?

Thanks in advance

Ian Ball

Well the import cost of the suit from Bulgaria is quite a lot so cost wise I haven't got one yet.  I do like the company though, they offer club discounts and the like to ease the cost somewhat. 

I've got a warmbac and it's fine.  I like the neoprene cuffs.

Last time I was in Inglesport they had a box of Landjoff samples they were selling, might be worth getting in touch to see if they are intending to offer the Landjoff PVC suit?

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
We find PVC suits essential to keep warm for the type of digging operations we are involved in.  So everyone has one and most are Warmbac.  I'm not sure any other makes are readily available in the UK anyway.  I do find I get through a lot due to the nature of digging, often sharp, gravelly debris in small spaces wears out the sleeves etc.  The backside and back seam eventually goes too.  Overall they last about the same as Meandres used to when they were available. 

On the standard size I find the arms a little short and i mentioned this to Kermit at Warmbac.  He immediately offered to put an extra two inches onto the sleeves for me and he's been doing that ever since.  He likes to refer to it as the 'long arm baboon cut'  :)

I have heard that the Landjoff has a more stretchy or supple material but no proper idea how it performs.  One of the suits had problems splitting along the welded seams.  Which was that?

paul

It looks like you can get the Meander PVC suit again, from Tony @ starlessriver.com:

https://starlessriver.com/shop/meander-criou-pvc/

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Ah - I think it was that one that split along the welded seams.  After a fair bit of use of course.

Greybeard

Now the Lyon was the best ever for caving but probably not for diggers. They fit & stretched like a condom, you didn't know you were wearing one, an oversuit that is.
Anyway they are not available so I've been using Landjoff. I'm out twice a week and they last upto 2 years with a bit of patching.
Just got my fifth and it arrived 3 days after ordering, a bit pricey though

Greybeard

I think shipping, VAT & handling fee was ?40 odd but the list price was about ?20 lower than when we were in the EU. VAT I think.
The other thing I like about them are the braces which keep it up rather than it hanging from your shoulders. I like comfort in my old age.

tomferry

A very slight change on subject but have been reading this and following , has anyone got any ratings for landjoff none pvc suits ?  I personally use a standard warmbac over-suit so would be interested to hear about the other landjoff ones thanks  (y)

Paul Marvin

We cook in the warmbacs and pvc stuff, we prefer Dickies Redhawk overalls and if getting very wet a 3mm wetsuit underneath

pwhole

Years ago a few of us at the TSG bought a bunch of Faithful one-piece rainsuits, which are fabric-backed lightweight plastic suits ('Dritex') - totally waterproof and weighing next to nothing - really thin too. They're super-tough and hard to tear. And as we bought a bunch in hi-viz dayglo yellow, we became known for our glow. At least no-one ever lost us. Sadly they went out of business shortly after we bought them, but they do still seem to sell two-piece suits - not much good for watertight caving, but may be OK for less wet trips - or it's raining when you go! :)

AR

Tomferry said:
A very slight change on subject but have been reading this and following , has anyone got any ratings for landjoff none pvc suits ?  I personally use a standard warmbac over-suit so would be interested to hear about the other landjoff ones thanks  (y)

The Landjoff cordura suits are great, I've had one (in black..) for years now with few problems other than the cuff velcro coming off and some seam stitching coming undone - the internal elasticated braces are a good idea. Kicking myself for not upgrading to the reinforced version  before we left the EU!

Paul Marvin

AR said:
Tomferry said:

The Landjoff cordura suits are great, I've had one (in black..) for years now with few problems other than the cuff velcro coming off and some seam stitching coming undone - the internal elasticated braces are a good idea. Kicking myself for not upgrading to the reinforced version  before we left the EU!

Wont they ship to the UK from Bulgaria ?  :-\

https://landjoff.com/page/8/delivery.html

langcliffe

Paul Marvin said:
AR said:
Tomferry said:

They do, but the overall cost of buying from Landjoff since we have become Boris Land has gone up. Mind you, I have just paid ?61 for 2 of their 22 litre superb rope bags, so they are still good value. I really rate them as a company.

Paul Marvin

langcliffe said:
Paul Marvin said:
AR said:
Tomferry said:

They do, but the overall cost of buying from Landjoff since we have become Boris Land has gone up. Mind you, I have just paid ?61 for 2 of their 22 litre superb rope bags, so they are still good value. I really rate them as a company.

Good to know how long was the shipping ?

pwhole

It looks a little - erm - loose at the crotch? I guess it doesn't matter which side sir dresses on in that? I think we have one at the TSG - certainly one of the same colour, but it's enormous - I tried it on once but it was all a bit too much - I get stressed out in heavy vinyl. I bet it's great for muddy digs though.

Ian Ball

Putting in an order to Landjoff next week if anyone wants to share courier cost (and then drive half way across the country to collect). 

I'm going to give the custom sized PVC suit a go.  I've a voucher for a fiver off an order which is due to run out so best get the wallet out for once.

https://landjoff.com/

On a different note, anyone want to buy a huge meander, oto but I'd be well happy with getting my ?50 back

https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=24795.0