Pressure washing your kit

SamT

I have now taken the last step into complete suburbia and purchased a pressure washer.

Do you reckon washing your kit with it could be detrimental i.e. will the force of the jet actually cause more wear to the fibers of your suit/harness/slings/cowstails etc.

:?:

bubba

Administrator
Purchased a new one or fixed the one I gave you?

Sure it'll be ok - they're not *that* powerful, just keep the jet a little bit away...

underground

What put me off was having sludge running all over the backyard and up the sides of the house; and it's a right waste of water. My rain barrel was the mutt's nuts, filled itself in a night off the gutters and I just dunked evrything in it nuff times and they came out spotless. I think I'm gonna need it for watering the allotment though :roll:

SamT

bubba said:
Purchased a new one or fixed the one I gave you?

Sure it'll be ok - they're not *that* powerful, just keep the jet a little bit away...

Had a damn good go at fixing that one, had the pump to bits and everything. Its basically leaking from one of the seals - which reduces the pressure a bit so the pump kicks. this leads to a cycle and hence the pulsing effect which is extremely irritating. I think maybe it froze in your garage and bust the seal.

Anyhows - bought a new one (the same as the one you gave me).

Kit is lovely and clean now anyway - so after tommorrows jaunt - I can clean it all off again.

Joy :?

Iain Barker

Sam,
you might want to consider lending your new pressure washer to Bog, his kit always gets left cacked-up; mind you, that's probably due to having served a Bagshawe apprenticeship! :shock:

Hammy

I bought a pressure washer 4 weeks ago....and I love it to bits!!

It's sooo versatile.....the patio is now spotless, bikes are shiny in an instant, I can see my face reflected in the windows, the car looks like its fresh out of the showroom.....and as for caving gear....well what can I say??....my oversuit gleams - harness and tapey things look like new....(hurrah for those little detergent sticks.....) and as for the safety factor - stuff it......gimme cleeeeeen anyday :wink:

ianball11

We used to use a pressure washer to wash kit, but were always sceptical about the power it brings into washing ropes, if you are trying to get grit out, blasting it with such force could just push grit deeper into the rope. So we used it for cleaning everything else and loving it, especially at Freshers Fayre, we would get loads of people asking if we were the climbing club!