Cleaning ropes in washing machine.....??

T

Titch98

Just brought some new Mammut rope from Caving Supplies, which came with a rather useful "instruction manual". Going through it, I came across this particular bit:

If a rope becomes dirty, you can wash it either in hand warm water in the bathtub or in a normal household washing machine........................For machine wash, the same instructions for wool should be used to take best care of the rope....................A mild synthetic detergent is the most suitable for this.

Just wondered if anyone else has machine washed their ropes? If so, what detergent have you used and what was the results (ie. none, rope twist, shrinkage etc.)

Not something I had even considered before..........

ian mckenzie

Our club has a top-loading washing machine for ropes. I've never used it but apparently it does a great job. You daisy-chain the ropes before washing so they doesn' t tangle. Some cavers prewash new ropes to shrink the sheath and discourage slippage. There is some importance to using detergent vs. soap but I don't recall which is which.

SamT

I sometimes wash my climbing rope in the washing machine after climbing on sea cliffs. gets rid of all the salt/bird poo grit etc. I dont use and soap or detergent and even put the machine on a quick rinse prior to putting the ropes in just to wash any existing detergent through. I dont think there is any need for soap/detergent really. Water does the job well enough.

Never daisy chained em but that sounds like a good idea. Having said that, they never get too tangled anyhow.

They do however come out looking like brand new. Could be dangerous cause Im sure Ive had them a lot longer than I ought to have. Slings come out really well too.

Never done it with caving rope - far too dirty and the missus would hang me. Might be worth purchasing a second hand machine just for the job. :D

Rachel

I stick mine in a pillowcase (to avoid abrasion), then wash them without any soap or anything - just plain water.

Seems to work and the machine hasn't died yet....

D

Dave H

Sam, is your rope is really too dirty to place straight in the washing machine? How about swilling it in the stream usually found at the cave entrance?

Getting grit into the rope can be really bad news, so try and keep the rope clean in a tackle bag.
Personally I just chain my rope and drop it in the washing machine along with my harness and tapes, for a quick wash and spin without any detergent.

Has anybody tried using one of these new fabric conditioners that dry clothes quicker? If it is just a water repellent it could be useful for ropes (especially for the person carrying them back from a wet pitch!)

mudmonkey

Re. DaveH - I have heard of people putting fabric conditioner on ropes. In error. Apparently the rope went lovely soft and fluffy.

Unfortunately the climbing rope in question was no longer useable - it was soft, fluffy, and about an inch across.....

:LOL:

Never saw the rope in question but I find the idea quite credible......

SamT

re - daveh

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: not all of us do our caving in yorkshire - me lad.

I've a hard time telling my missus that my undersuit bally and thermal are clean enough.

ever been down the far flats in nettle - maskill/oxlow - anywhere in bagshawe - longrake - winnats head.

not many streams - lots of clay/mineral spar.

DaveH said:
Getting grit into the rope can be really bad news

grandma - eggs.

A couple of tubs of water and some door mat does me after a bad trip - or just taking them to giants and dumping them under garlands when Im down there.

Iain Barker

I used to just chuck all my kit & everything (wellies, helmet - the lot) into the nice new washing machine back in the 80's; the maching lasted a lot longer than the marriage! Now I've got another wife and a jet-washer. :?

T

Titch98

:oops:

Lesson number one learnt last night................

Always inform the wife before you load your washing machine with caved up ropes!

:bash:

For some strange reason, she had a sense of humour failiure......

NOW I understand why not many people wash their kit in the washing machine!!!!

(Wonder if I can do me stop, croll and jammer in the dishwasher......??)

:D

SamT

Titch98 said:
For some strange reason, she had a sense of humour failiure......

I tried to warn you.

Titch98 said:
(Wonder if I can do me stop, croll and jammer in the dishwasher......??)

Genius.

Ohh - damn it - I dont got a dishwasher.

K

Kelvin

I often chuck cowstails, safety loops and short (20m) ropes into the washing machine when washing my furry and other items of kit after trips that are particularly muddy or in very acid conditions (ie: Parys mountain, Wheal Jane, Avoca) and not had any probs.

On occassions I've tried "TechWash" from Nikwax other times just a small amount of normal washing liquid.

An interesting feature with the cowstails and safety loops is that if you leave any knots (ie figure of 8's) in them, you will find the knots get washed out !! :?

D

Dave H

Tape knots also seem to come out on a regular basis. :(

But insulation tape holding the loose ends to the loop stops this, and helps deter thieving b*@#ds from borrowing them. But you still need to check that the knot is tight before use (Yes Sam... grandmother, eggs again!) :wink:

If the washing machine can undo knots so easily, it is a bit of a worry placing rigging in the thundering torrent of a waterfall.
(but then again this new fangled SRT rigging stays well away fom water! :eek:ldgit:)

pisshead

a mate of mine borrowed my SRT kit, took it down robin's dig (very muddy if you don't know it) and decided that it was too dirty to return, so popped it in the dishwasher (not his incidentally).

Came out lovely :)

kay

I used to wash flower pots in the dishwasher. The spray arms became completely blocked with soil and we had to dismantle the dishwasher to get it working again. I wouldn't advise using a dishwasher for caving ropes on a regular basis.

paul

kay said:
I used to wash flower pots in the dishwasher. The spray arms became completely blocked with soil and we had to dismantle the dishwasher to get it working again. I wouldn't advise using a dishwasher for caving ropes on a regular basis.

Maybe if you had emptied the flower pots, first....

SamT

finally succummed and put my ropes in the washer, (after seeking permission signed in triplicate from the powers that be). Washed the worst off in a tub of water first.

Came up fine :D

Daisy chaining them worked really well for avoiding tangles, I never did that with my climbing ropes and it was always fun sorting em out on the kitchen floor.

F

Fiona

My local laundrette takes the brunt of all my kit and ropes . does a great job . But I make sure the attendent is not there before loading the machine .

D

diggerdog adam

**WARNING**

Be Very Carefull if you wash ropes and kit in the washing machine as all modern washing powers contain bleach

Even if you dont add any powder there might be some left over from the last wash whos to know

I would never consider putting bleach on a rope that your life or some one else's life depends on so for me the washer is a no no

SamT

i have always put a rinse cycle on beforehand to flush out any deturgents. I reckon the amount of bleach is probably minisule and added to that - i reckon most water down a cave is more acidic that the water in your washing machine is alkaline.