Cave topos?

JefeBo55

Hi All,

New to Uk Caving and caving in general, some friends finally convinced me to get into it and I have to admit I think i really enjoy it!

Is there anywhere on the website that I'm not finding that has Cave maps and topos?

Keen to find some places to explore rather than relying on my friends doing all the work!

Thanks

p.s. i'm not sure if topo is the correct word but I'm a climber  ;) ;)

alastairgott

something i wrote the other week.

Derbyshire Cave Information
The most up to date online (general) information for caves of the peak district is here https://peakdistrictcaving.info/home/the-caves

This site contains information on Access fees, Surveys (where freely available), Rigging guides and selected Route descriptions.

This site provides links directly for each site to the Cave registry, containing the GPS position on a map for each cave in the Peak district you may want to visit. http://thedca.org.uk/dca-cr/registry/ This also contains up-to date access information.

Additional reading
For those interested in Caving in the peak district and want to ensure they always have extra information to hand, the best book to buy is the Peak district caving book by John Beck and Iain Barker. This is very important if you are looking at going off the beaten track or to obscure/less well visited sites. or if you've seen a passage and want to know where it goes.

There are other places to find information, but If you wish to find out extra information, start by talking to one of the local clubs. They may be able to help point you in a useful direction for more information.

Simon Wilson

alastairgott

also of use maybe the peak district rigging guide compiled by Crewe Climbing and potholing club (CCPC) http://www.ccpc.org.uk/forsale/peak-district-rigging-guide
Lovely club.

There are two places which you will be able to buy books from:
1) caving supplies (buxton) http://www.caving-supplies.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/68010%7C%7Cpeak~@c~@b%7C20%7Cuser%7C1,0,0,1%7C44
2) Starless river (occasionally found lurking in Derbyshire, makes a good cup of tea!)

I'm a member of the TSG in Castleton. I took some new people caving on Saturday this weekend, for me it was rewarding and I think they enjoyed it too.

We are open to all. www.tsgcaving.co.uk

mikem

Simon Wilson said:
What region are you caving in?

Hopefully the Peak District, as he posted in that forum...

UKclimbing has a huge database of crags & routes (info on many new routes often appears there first).

Mike

JefeBo55

Hi all,

I live in Sheffield,

I will look into clubs thanks!

At the moment it's normally just me and my 2 friends going underground which I quite like as there's less people around!

Smudge375

If you live in Sheffield you are only 30 mins from the Peak District.
I live in Bamford and have loads of places on my doorstep.
Pm me if you want more details on nice holes to go and have a look at ;-)
I'm guessing, at the moment you're not srt trained?

Pitlamp

Most climbers take well to caving as they're already naturally fit and agile.

Please can I echo Simon's advice; join a caving club. I know many climbers just operate as individuals but joining a club is much more useful for cavers. Apart from the massive amount of expertise and experience available to you (which greatly improves safety) it'll give you access to shared equipment. You'll find the camaraderie is quite amazing too, especially if you join a club which has its own hostel.

The TSG is very good and has many Sheffield-based members and a hostel in the Peak District (but I'd better declare an interest as I'm a member myself!). The TSG is directly on a bus route from Sheffield. The Orpheus Caving Club (also with its own hostel) is also very good. There are plenty of other good clubs with no hostel of course.

Welcome to the caving community.

pwhole

The TSG's location is quite unique, and was the only possible caving club I could have joined, being a non-driver, also from Sheffield. Having the bus almost reach the door is really nice. But its village-centre ambience (proximity to cakes), ample facilities, spectacular views and stonking cave systems literally minutes away is also hard to beat.

pwhole

Yes, I really did mean cakes - though I reckon I've spent enough in Peveril Stores to qualify for a loyalty card by now. The caves in Castleton are pretty good too.