So, what is the age of forum users (not just those who post)?

Which age group are you in?

• under 18

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 18-30

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • 30-40

Votes: 19 16.8%
  • 40-50

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • 50-60

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • 60+

Votes: 27 23.9%

• Total voters

teabag

I've found it interesting that the split has remained almost 50:50 under and over 40 as more people have voted.

mikem

Hasn't changed much in 6 months then:
https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=23261.0

Mike

langcliffe

I don't know how significant a statistic it is, but there were nine cavers on a northern club's exchange trip between Maskhill and Oxlow last weekend, and five of them were over 70.

kay

Even more interesting that the distribution appears to be bimodal (two separate peaks) - is this an indication that the decline in popularity of caving everyone's been lamenting is being reversed?

PeteHall

kay said:
Even more interesting that the distribution appears to be bimodal (two separate peaks) - is this an indication that the decline in popularity of caving everyone's been lamenting is being reversed?
Or it means that those of us in our 30's and 40's are more likely to have kids preventing us from caving as much as we'd like...

kay

PeteHall said:
kay said:
Or it means that those of us in our 30's and 40's are more likely to have kids preventing us from caving as much as we'd like...

Do you think that cavers who aren't caving at the moment are excluding themselves from the poll? (I thought being a caver was a personal attribute as much as an activity ;-)  )  Or that they're dropping out to the extent that they're no longer even following ukc?

Laurie

Maybe you should divide the 60+ group into 10 year divisions?
60 - 70
70 - 80
80 - 90
etc..

Fulk

Although strictly speaking not actually germane to the topic, I thought that it might be of passing interest to note that, according to the NSS, the 'World Record' for an 80?89-year-old climbing 30 m on rope is 2 min 45.2 sec, while the record for an 80?89-year-old climbing 120 m is 13 min 05.0 s.

Graigwen

Fulk said:
Although strictly speaking not actually germane to the topic, I thought that it might be of passing interest to note that, according to the NSS, the 'World Record' for an 80?89-year-old climbing 30 m on rope is 2 min 45.2 sec, while the record for an 80?89-year-old climbing 120 m is 13 min 05.0 s.

When I was a fit nineteen year old, walking an extended version of the Mosedale Horseshoe in the Lake District I was walked off my feet by an 85 year old retired shepherd. It was not that he was exceptionally fast, but he never stopped and maintained his pace without slowing over steep and broken ground.