So who won the 50m of Spanset Gold??

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
After copious amounts of tea this morning reading through the Rab competition entries, it's gin this evening!

Once again, thank you to Spanset & Pete ward for your continued support of the forum and British Caving  (y) (y)

Here is the shortlist with some short extracts/comments from each write up:

Cap'n Chris - Aquatic snippets from Pridhamsleigh

D.Snaith - Oxygen (or lack of!)

Madness - Nowadays part of the trips interest comes from al the graffiti supposedly left by the Troggs of the 60's and
                70's. Did they really live in Cumberland or just use it for their drug fuelled parties?

Cartwright26 - The Frozen Deep - which for me that had not been out of Devon was amazed by the shear size of this
                      passage it was huge!!!

ianball11 - I didn't fancy arriving 7m underwater to find a dead sheep blocking the way and the flood debris on the
                roof of Rowten Passage had been mostly wool, had a sheep fallen in and was slowly shedding its fleece
                through the sump?

RichardB1983 - P8 - which is where I think I found myself most out of my comfort zone in the whole trip. But again a
                      couple of experienced members of the group stuck with me and encouraged me along.

JoshW - In reality, we were up until 3am drinking monkeyshoulder whiskey trying to traverse the small round coffee
              table, and so did not see the light of day until 10am anyway.

bagpuss - Compton Martin Ochre Mine - The mine is fantastically decorated in fungi which has grown on the much
              decayed pit props

Chunky - Gnome Passage
22152255089_d9f99a19fb_z.jpg

Selenite passage

MarkS - A pleasant refreshment in the Cheese followed our exit, and we got enthusiastically chatting about plans for
            our imminent return to the area in China we visited last year. But in typical China fashion, those plans were
            turned on their head the next morning. Oh well!

Christine - Girls do mid week - so I set about turning the garden red, trying to clean my gear....(great photos)

Pete Hall - Rod's Pot - After a few chunks had successfully been removed, the boulder decided to slip. Anxious that it
                would completely block my only way out, I did everything I could to stop its advance, but all in vain.

leclused - Chantoir
IMG_5527.JPG

Meanderthal - 2015 Treviso - but the chamber we popped into ?I Love Horses? was another level with formations
                    ranging from 10m columns to delicate straws and helictites.

Judi Durber - So I opted for a womble round the top of OFD with a survey.

aricooperdavies - The stream was in heavy flood, with foam and debris all over the place, and the entrance waterfall
                          completely impassable to those with legs too short to straddle it entirely.

Alex - about to descend the pitch, when a boulder had slapped him in the face.

Bratchley -  he didn't realise straight away that his finger was jammed between the rock and his stop, fully body
                weight on it.

teabag - Last thing to do is find a suitable place for the emerging skeleton.

Alex - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXeUA4Bbx44&feature=youtu.be

R.Turnbull - Holly coiled away a dangerously rickety ladder and screams emerged up the pitch as she rung a dead frog up within the ladder. The sorry evidence was later buried in shame.

Once again, thanks so much to all who entered - your support is always appreciated  (y)

21 entries - and the winner is, chosen by random.org............8 - Bagpuss!!

Congratulations  ;)

bagpuss

Brilliant, thanks!  Being a teeny tiny club we don't have club rope (only our own personal kit) so will be nice to have have something for club use :) do I need to message you?