Bad air solution?

Pyro

I'm sure this has probably been discussed/suggested before so forgive me for not searching the forum prior to this for related topics;

Talking to a friend about digging and especially sites with bad air and was wondering about the use of some form of Oxygen producing chemical reaction that could be used to make the dig possible/bearable. So far my research is limited to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_oxygen_generator

Not so much interested in breathing "masks" etc stemming from this as a dive bottle and a  reg has already been trialled I'm sure. Instead, does anyone know of a device or even a "vat" of some description whereby O2 is produced and perhaps even CO2 absored also to make the air in the immediate area (obviously no draft being useful) much improved?

Yours in anticipation of a  :eek: mad scientific  :sneaky::LOL: entirely laughed at :thumbsdown: response

Pyro

Andyj23UK

"Sofnolime " is a brand name of hi purity calcium hydroxide [ suttible for use in breathing apparatus ] - used in divers reabreather kits its quite expensive - ?70 for a 20kg drum

that would certainly lower CO2 levels - but it could work out expensive to operate

using oxygen candles or other such , is IMHO  a very bad idea

1 - you are not actually getting rid of any CO2 - even if you have 30 % oxygen , which also elevates the fire risk from otherise safe equiment and processes - having co2 levels > 3% will still cause distress

2 - the elevated 02 levels will accelerate biological activity

forced mechanical ventilation with a fan and ducting is the tried and tested method - that way you not only refresh the air , you also reduce humidyth and control temperature

i am sure there are threads on it - but IIRC for a given fan size sucking the stale  air away from the dig site is more efficient that attempting to pump fresh air to the dig

Roger W

Shrubs in tubs are a tried and tested way of absorbing carbon dioxide.

This hasn't worked very well in caves in the past, as most shrubs don't grow very well in near-total darkness.  However, with the new generation of caving lamps coming on the market, this shouldn't be too much of a problem now.

hrock

given the problems of regulating a scruber(co2 removel) and adding o2 at the right rat not to kill you in one small cock up. i have always gone for the long bit of pipe and suck the air out so you get the new stuf in. the 120m of 50mm pipe i have attached to a fan from the heater of a vw polo has proved prity good but it is not a fun job carrying the batterys in and out.

ian.p

just tell the lanky cumbrian to eat less beans before going digging treat the cause not the symptom!
otherwise i reckon get a bottom walking dive suit and a bicycle pump 'sbound to work.

Pyro

ian.p said:
just tell the lanky cumbrian to eat less beans before going digging treat the cause not the symptom!
otherwise i reckon get a bottom walking dive suit and a bicycle pump 'sbound to work.

He could well be the cause, but if it is him, his own brand gives him headaches... Potent to say the least. potential for ur BA solution you talked about the other day but Im trying to think of how productive it would be in the space we have... Pony bottle?