Another nub interested in starting...

Steve.H

I've wanted to cave for years, ever since I was a small 'un (some 30+ years ago), but have never actually managed to try it.

I've got a few weeks booked off work between now and April, so how would I go about getting a 'taster' session with a group somewhere? Distance isn't really an obstacle, so any suggestions are welcome.  :)

I've 41, btw, a touch overweight (beer, meh  :beer:), and not what I'd call athletic.  :-[  I'm willing though.  ;)

Elaine

Steve.H said:
I've 41, btw, a touch overweight (beer, meh  :beer:), and not what I'd call athletic.  :-[  I'm willing though.  ;)

A bit of caving experience and you will fit in very well!

caving_fox

Use a famous internet search engine to find a local caving club - most towns have one. The main areas are Yorkshire, the Peaks, S Wales and Mendips where there are lots of clubs, but even in non limestone areas like the fens there are a few clubs around. They're always looking for new potential members, and will have gear for you to borrow and will organise a suitable trip.

Welcome and enjoy!

Oceanrower

Short notice I know but if you fancy a trip to the Mendips, I'll be around this weekend at the Wessex CC - be happy to take you down something interesting.  :D

I've got spare kit if needed.  (y)

If you can make it, give me a call on 07956 182 635. Nigel.

paul

You could also peruse the British Caving Association's Try Caving website. It's worth noting that some caving clubs also offer accommodation so living in a cave-free area (e.g. we are Peak-based and have some members who live in Rugby) isn't a problem.

Steve.H

Thanks for the advice and offers.  :beer:

I've arranged a trip for this Sunday, so hopefully I'll return tired but happy.  :)

Steve.H

Well, I returned tired, but happy.  :clap:

Many thanks go to Martin from SWCC for offering to take me down Ogof Ffynnon Ddu at such short notice, and for supplying me with the equipment to do it. Here follows a short run down of my day...

5am came bright and early, which was 2 hours earlier than I needed to get up. No way could I get back to sleep though, so I stumbled out of bed to await my departure time. It took about 3 hours to get to Penwyllt, including a petrol stop, which was about the length of time I was expecting.

After ten minutes wandering around the SWCC cottage, feeling a bit like a spare tool, I bumped into Martin who gave me a quick run down of the place, followed by an introduction to the equipment: oversuit (with worn away bum area), belt, helmet with lamp, and a pair of very useful rubber gloves (hands didn't feel cold once!).

And off we set, with Martin explaining about the area, the cave system, and other stuff, as we walked up the hill to the cave entrance.

I say "hill", but really I mean "North Face of the f***ing Eiger".  :eek: Martin's patience must have been well and truly tested, although he didn't show it, as I had to stop 5 times on the way up! My lower back muscles were aching like hell, and cramping up, and I was more than a little concerned that the caving trip wouldn't be able to last more than 20 minutes at most. However, when I was actually in the cave there were no problems.

After a brief stop outside of the entrance, which I think was more for me to get my breath, we ventured inside. Which is where I had my first surprise: it's very rocky in there  ::). With Martin traversing the ground like a gazelle, and me following behind like an oaf with two left feet, we went a short distance before stopping again to let our eyes get adjusted to the level of light.

Cutting a long story short, we covered a few different types of ground, with Martin explaining as we went along: cave ecology, what the tape on the ground means, general safety, etc. The most important lesson for me was when we came to a chimney that dropped down to another level. I had no problem (psychologically or physically) gettting down the thing, but before I could do so Martin stopped me and asked...."How will you get back up?"

Hmm, important lesson learned: don't go down anything, unless you're sure you can get back up.  :-[

Martin then showed me how to get back up, and I had to admit that I didn't have the confidence to do it (shorter legs, and unsure of my footing this early in). So we reversed slightly, and followed another route down.

Up until this point, the passages had been (to my surprise) very large. So large in fact, that I didn't really feel that I could get a proper scale with only my headlamp. This changed a little when we came to the 'corkscrew', which was a simple drop and twist next to a fecking large hole.  :eek:

Hole avoided, we passed on down and came to a two way stream bed. Given the option of following one of the branches, I decided to go for it - the narrow, twisty branches..... which I enjoyed immensely! I did, however, find that this was the place which showed that my lovingly developed beer belly was not an asset. This was the first area that really tested my (lack of) stamina, with the twisting and turning, and the exertion of it had me feeling physically sick at one point. At the end of the stream, I was rewarded by the view over a large drop into darkness (and another lesson learned: large holes might appear out of nowhere  :blink:). Back to the junction, and Martin offered to show me the other branch: equally twisty, but with some wonderful white icing-like formations 'dripping' from the roof.

We'd been underground for a couple of hours by that point, so it was decided that it was a good time to head back to the surface. Lesson number 3: going down is faaaaar easier than going up. I was kind of hoping we'd go down a bit further, and then step out of a hole back into the cottage changing room. You know, like in Mr Ben. 'twas not to be though.  :cry:

We ascended to the top of the corkscrew, and then headed off to a rather large cavern called The Big Chamber Near The Entrance. It was admittedly a chamber, and rather big. I shortly found out that it was near the entrance too. The early pioneers certainly didn't mince their words.  :LOL:

And here, in TBCNTE, I discovered my forte: modelling. Martin had brought photography equipment along, and I proceeded to strike various heroic poses while the tiny magical box recorded the moments for posterity.

A short trip along a (fairly) smooth passage later, and we were back at the entrance.

It was very strange, climbing back out to ground level. The outside scenery seemed oddly different to when I had entered the cave. No matter, we headed back to the cottage, and I availed myself of the lovely warm showers there.  (y)

It was a wonderful trip, which I can't thank Martin enough for. The advice and commentary about the cave ecology was both invaluable and interesting, and at no point did I feel pressured to do anything that I didn't feel comfortable doing. I felt challenged, mentally and physically, but I always felt safe (well, as safe as you can be when you're challenging yourself in a cave). My only real concern was afterwards, when I noticed a long brown stain on the back of my jogging bottoms. I felt sure that I hadn't been that nervous in the cave! And then I remembered that the oversuit was worn away in that area, and open to the elements. Phew!  :LOL:

So, a great trip. Were there any disappointments? Yes, one, but one that didn't occur to me until afterwards. I didn't get to see much of what was around me while travelling over the rough ground, due to my having to pay attention to when I was stepping, and the lamps don't illuminate a lot. My footing will (hopefully) improve with practice, but the illumination cast by the lamps isn't going to improve all that much. Therein lies my disappointment: I will never be able to see the true splendour of the caves and passages, except through photography afterwards, which is a little sad. The various photo's I've seen (Martin's, the ones on the SWCC website, etc) show an amazing world that people would pay good money to see. The reality is that the only way to see it 'live' is to take a lighting crew everywhere you cave, which isn't going to happen. The disappointment doesn't detract from the caving trip itself, but it definitely set up a yearning to see the wonderful places as I travel through them.

And best of all? Very few aches the next day, and no pains at all.  :beer:

Peter Burgess

That's a really good write up. Taking "nubs" on trips can be a pleasure if they are as keen as you seem to be. Wish I'd been there!

damian

Steve.H said:
My footing will (hopefully) improve with practice, but the illumination cast by the lamps isn't going to improve all that much. Therein lies my disappointment: I will never be able to see the true splendour of the caves and passages, except through photography afterwards, which is a little sad.

The more you cave, the better you will get and you'll be amazed by how much more time you will have to look around. Also, I imagine you didn't have the newest of lights ... gear we lend to people tends to be our old stuff ... and lights have moved on a lot in the last few years. Given some of the lights available on the market now, you'll be able to see the majority of Big Chamber without too much effort if you want. It'll cost you getting on for ?400 though (but the trick is to find a fellow caver who has one and tag along with them!!)

Nice report and thanks for sharing it with us.

Elaine

Stopping to look around you is a superb excuse for a rest! It is amazing how many fascinating geological marvels are to be found on steep climbs!

whitelackington

Steve,
thankyou for your newbie story, so well written, I can actually imagine being on the trip with you,
keep it up both the caving and the write ups.
I am sure you will derive many pleasures and benefits from "finally" taking up caving,
you will most likely extend your useful life.
Wouldn't we all want to be fit enough to carry on caving when we become pensioners.
You will find you will soon become amazingly much fitter and stronger,
gain new friends and be offered many new challenges.
The only question is why did you wait so long?

Mick

paul

whitelackington said:
Steve,
thankyou for your newbie story, so well written, I can actually imagine being on the trip with you,
I am sure you will derive many pleasures and benefits from "finally" taking up caving,
Wouldn't we all want to be fit enough to carry on caving when we become pensioners.

Mick

I totally agree with you Mick.

big-palooka

paul said:
whitelackington said:
Steve,

Mick

I totally agree with you Mick.

steve.h- you waited til you were 41 to start caving

I waited til I was 51 before I joined a club and started caving.

Why?

No GAP year in my day, but at least university grants.........but then before you know what's going on............head down to build a career, ............. then marriage.............debt, ........... a mortgage,...............more debt............  a family, .......more debt...........kids to University............................. and more debt ........... and WHAM!!!!! ...........a big chunk of your  life's gone and you're staring at your friends who are planning retirement.

Having done a couple of beginners underground trips I decided it was time to really live. Not for me the latest Jag and Golf Club membership, not for me the Winters in Spain, not for me the endless lunches in trendy garden centres with a Swiss theme restaurant......................no....................
I'm still paying off the bl@@dy debt!!

Only one thing to do...............................wake up and take part in the best value for money activity in the whole world.

Join the Orpheus Caving Club and go CAVING!!!!!

Having realised how many years I have wasted, I now spend my time on a mission to get as many of my Scouts (I am now a Scout Leader and Scout Caving Instructor) and as many of my friends caving and exploring underground as I can.

How I wish I could have started caving at 12 years old!!!!

Paul C

robjones

Neither 41 nor 51 are specially old to start an interest in the great underground. A friend started in his early sixties and he was a pretty sedentary TV repairman with a big belly. He got into SRT in his late sixties. He stayed active well into his seventies - it was only in his late seventies that he began to limit his shaft depth to 100 to 150 feet. Oh - and his SRT phase was after two hip replacements. Hope I'm that active at that age! So - its never too late and you're (almost) never too unfit to give caving a go.

big-palooka

Hi Rob

Thanks for that and Cheers to you and the OCC team for waiting for me as I slugged my way through the 2nd boulder choke in craig ar ffynnon last November  (y)

Paul

Steve.H

Thank you for the positive comments.  :beer:

As for why I've only just taken the plunge....I'm not really sure. I think it's basically how Paul C puts it - life gets in the way. Although I'd always had it in my mind that I wanted to try caving, I didn't really find the right route/time until I came across the UKCaving forums. After that, it was a case of having some time off, and then asking on here.  (y) I almost started on one of the Try Caving sessions last year, but the timing was too short notice by the time I found out about it.

Talking to a couple of mates, I've found two that seem really interesting in trying caving, which would potentially split the travelling costs. Another said he had claustrophobia, until I showed him the photo's from OFD. Then he admitted that his wife wouldn't let him go off on his own for a day.  :LOL: