Olympus TG-6 Offers

ZombieCake

I've just noticed a number of retailers are selling the TG-6 for ?299.  Not sure how long the offer lasts, just ordered mine from Park Cameras.  They've been quite reliable in looking after the contents of my wallet in the past.

Ian P

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the heads up.

Just ordered one from Park.
(Collect your commission at leisure).

Cheers
Ian

Fulk

Hi Julie, I have a TG 6 and as far as I am aware, it takes 'bog-standard' memory cards; for the record, at present I'm using a 16-GB one, which  can hold 2336 pictures of the top quality (1027 raw) (you can vary the quality ? I believe it can squeeze in 9999 low-quality images, but I can't see any point in doing that).

One problem I've found with larger memory cards is actually finding the pictures when transferring them to my computer (then again, I'm probably missing something).

Hope this helps.

andrewmcleod

I got a 128GB card for my TG4 when I bought it several years ago. Admittedly I don't actually use it that much, but I'm still a long way from filling it up and I've never actually deleted any photos off it (except for some with nudity in that it was probably best not to leave there :p )

ILT

Fishes said:
I'm also looking at a TG6. Could anyone suggest a suitable memory card?

Julie, look for a card that is UHC class 3 and Speed Class 10 as a minimum. With modern cameras and the high data rates needed to record large data files the speed is very important.
Brand is 'less significant' but buy from a reputable dealer (or the tropical river) if you go for Sandisk as there are a lot of inferior fakes on sites such as ebarf. 64Gig cards are usually reasonable value...smaller capacity will be cheaper (suggest you don't go below 32Gig in case you have a busy session of high quality data recording) and larger cards are possibly not necessary.
I'd always err towards having a couple of smaller cards instead of one huge card in case of failure.

For my SLRs I use ProGrade Digital V90 / Lexar Professional 2000x. I have some (cheaper) Sandisk Extreme Pro cards which I use for uultrasonic audio recording and also in my TG series cameras.

Fishes

I have decided to go with the Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB SDXC 170MB/s

I'm hoping this should be able to handle high def video and sequel burst photography if I decide to use that. Hopefully its also big enough that I won't have to open the camera in grotty conditions.

I'm new to high tech cameras so I'd like to have a play with this stuff and get the most from it.

ZombieCake

I pretty much just use Sandisk Extreme these days.  As ILT mentioned it's the speed class you need to look at.  That allows sustainable data transfer from the camera's buffer to the card and so not drop frames etc.  Here's a link with a graph https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/
If, for example, you're shooting landscapes or watching cave models slowly get hypothermia while you set up flashes with a long time between shots then the speed data is written to the card doesn't matter. If you're filming or use a high frames per second speed shooting RAW stills the the faster the camera can write to the card the better.
I tend to use 32 and 64 GB cards and have several on hand (i'm shooting 1080p and not 4K ProRes though), although I agree it might be unwise to change in a muddy wet cave.  It's very rare they go wrong but it has happened to me, so don't put all your eggs in one basket. Copy the cards to a computer and then back them up.