Waterproof Camera Case

richardg

A question, I am wanting a container to take a Lumix fz330 camera underground.
Has anyone any experience of these particular waterproof boxes being sold on amazon?

Waterproof Medium Size Protective Hard Camera Case with Foam - IP67 Rated Dustproof Outdoor Protection for GoPro HERO2 HERO3, DSLR, SLR, Lenses and Accessories (Orange)
Roll over image to zoom in
Waterproof Medium Size Protective Hard Camera Case with Foam - IP67 Rated Dustproof Outdoor Protection for GoPro HERO2 HERO3, DSLR, SLR, Lenses and Accessories (Orange)
Max Case
4.7 out of 5 stars    14 ratings 
Price: ?44.45 & FREE Delivery
Pay ?44.45 ?34.45: get a ?10 gift card upon approval for the Amazon Classic Mastercard. Terms apply.
New (2) from ?44.45 + FREE Shipping
Colour Name: Orange

Black
?42.45

Orange
?44.45
IP67 Rated Waterproof and Dustproof Outdoor and Shockproof Protection for Valuable Goods at an Affordable Price!
2 sheets of Cubed Pick and Pluck Foam. Watertight Seal around Lid. Load Tested Soft Grip Handle and 2 Padlockable Holes.
External Dimensions - Length 336mm x Width 300mm x Height 148mm Capacity - 9 Litres approx
Internal Dimensions - Length 300mm x Width 225mm x Height 132mm Weight: 1.75kg
Compact Camera Case, SLR Case, Camera Bag, Video Cameras, DSLR, Lens and Lenses, Waterproof, Dustproof, Shockproof, Weatherproof, Rugged, Outdoor, Anti-Shock, Anti-Dust, Lens and Camera Accessories, Protective. An economical alternative to Peli.
Compare with similar items
Report incorrect product information.

royfellows

I know nothing of this product but would advise shopping around for abetter price rather than "gift card subject to etc" being included.

chunky

Personally I'll stick with peli, have used their life time guarantee a couple of times....service and product are second to none imho

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

JoshW

royfellows said:
I know nothing of this product but would advise shopping around for abetter price rather than "gift card subject to etc" being included.

The gift card bit is amazing trying to flog their credit card, not to do with the seller.

Personally I use a darren drum for camera plus flashes, and almost always carry a small drum with first aid kit in that would fit a small point and shoot in

pwhole

I too would go for Peli if possible, albeit without knowing your camera and size. Having seen what they can go through first-hand overground - a 1300 bouncing down a 150m steep slope into a drystone wall - twice - I'm pretty happy with their performance. In both cases the contents were over ?1000 value and worked fine afterwards, so pretty damn good. DSLR camera and zoom lens one time and a GPS, DistoX and smartphone the second (not mine that time). We should have been more careful, admittedly. Also they float, so very handy if wading or navigating streamways. My SDS drill and two batteries happily floats in a 1400, which has helped me out a few times.

mch

When I first started caving and taking a camera underground, over 40 years ago, I used an old ammo box with some polysterene lining. It was heavy but it did the job - I once dropped it down the first pitch in Ireby Fell Caverns and camera and flash were fine. I don't take my DSLR underground - wouldn't want to risk several hundred pounds worth of equipment. I normally just use my Sony DSC-H90 compact, which is fine for the sort of small holes that I normally grovel around in. I keep it in an UltraBox 206 from Underwater Kinetics which I bought several years ago from a stand at either NAMHO or Hidden Earth, forget which. Can't remember how much it cost but I see that they are still available online for about ?30. Very light and compact and I just hang it off my belt.

richardg

Thank You Roy, Chunky,Josh, Pwhole and my friend Mike.

lots of useful advise there.

It may seem like the best option at present is the Darren Drum. though not sure if they are still available.

Thank you again
Richard.

JoshW

richardg said:
Thank You Roy, Chunky,Josh, Pwhole and my friend Mike.

lots of useful advise there.

It may seem like the best option at present is the Darren Drum. though not sure if they are still available.

Thank you again
Richard.

Darren Drum's available in Inglesport for sure. every now and again they pop up for reasonable value on fleabay.

droid

Pelis are expensive for a reason, and that reason is reliable protection.

If I was toting a cheapo point and shoot then I might use a Darren Drum.

For anything of value then it's a Peli. 
They really are bombproof.

ZombieCake

You get what you pay for. I'd be wary of generic Chinesium products, they can have dubious ratings and the Amazon star reviews may bought (i.e. faked) by the suppliers.
Daren Drums are are also available at yacht chandlers and canoe shops e.g. https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Nuova-Rade/Force-4-Storage-Bottle/K62
Vanguard also make good waterproof cases.

blackshiver

Oh for gods sake Richard take that old Ammo can that I know you have.
The youngsters won?t mock, they will think its vintage, really cool and being non plastic - very ?Green?.

Just don?t go leaving it on the front seat in Skipton as things have changed since the 1970?s. You may return to find an MOD robot has blown your cars doors off.

Fulk

Sorry droid, I beg to differ with you on this; my experience is that Darren Drums are better than Peli cases (less likely to leak), plus if you choose the right size they fit neatly in a tackle bag, which makes them easier to carry underground. I also had to take advantage of the 25-year guarantee on a small Peli case (after far fewer than 25 years) becasue the handle broke off in a cave twice (i.e. on the original and its repalcement).

chunky

I use Daren drums on occasion and they work extremely well when packed properly.

One top tip though is if you get any helpers make sure they know not to lean on drum going through crawls as side pressure can break the seal to the lid.

droid

Fulk said:
Sorry droid, I beg to differ with you on this

That's OK  :LOL:

I defer to your vastly greater experience on these things....all I know is that a peli has served me well in mines, and that it was no more awkward than a Darren Drum in a bag.

ZombieCake

I painted my metal ammo can with orangey Hammerite.  Makes it easier for the MOD robots to see before they blow your car up.  ;)  The ones that used to hold the large .50 rounds have more space and can fit an SLR and flash.
Defo agree with the seal issue on flexible containers.  They're waterproof until squished, just be careful.  I've also a few Plano plastic ammo boxes which are great for transporting kit, but really ought to be considered just splash proof in an active environment where they could be elbowed or knelt on in somewhat damp places.

pwhole

Two deep 1300 Pelis fit perfectly in my large AV bag - camera, flash trigger and maybe a spare lens in one and two flashguns in the other. It was all great until one of my flashguns broke and I bought a new one - and then amazingly someone fixed my broken one. So now I don't know where to put that!

JoshW

chunky said:
I use Daren drums on occasion and they work extremely well when packed properly.

One top tip though is if you get any helpers make sure they know not to lean on drum going through crawls as side pressure can break the seal to the lid.

I sat on the side of a darren drum for a 3km tractor ride down a dirt track in Laos a couple of years back, and I can confirm they're definitely stronger up right (making a comfortable-ish seat with a rolled up jumper on top) than on their side (resulting in a smashed up camera screen)

JoshW

JoshW said:
chunky said:

I sat on the side of a darren drum for a 3km tractor ride down a dirt track in Laos a couple of years back, and I can confirm they're definitely stronger up right (making a comfortable-ish seat with a rolled up jumper on top) than on their side (resulting in a smashed up camera screen)

and agreed on the packing properly, I can fit camera, flash trigger, 5x flashes, some spare AAs and a flash diffuser in a 6L darren drum, but if just one of those bits is slightly out of position, I can fit nowhere near that amount.

Fulk

Several years ago I bought a budget-priced waterproof box at Inglesport that was made of translucent plastic of some sort; to me it felt a bit brittle, but I was assured that it would stand up to the rigours of caving without any problems. The name on the box is ?Outdoor Products?.

The box?s first outing was to Ireby Fell Cavern, where, as I was approaching the third pitch, the box fell out of my tackle bag and bounced off 2?3 m down the passage and over the edge of the pitch. I descended the pitch, fully expecting to find a broken box and contents strewn all around, but the box was intact and undamaged ? even the flash-gun inside it continued to work. I?ve taken it underground a lot since then, with no problems at all.