Cave locations

Roger W

Has a bit of a surreal moment yesterday.

I was talking with someone who has just come to do an MBA at Sheffield Uni.

"If you go out along the A57," I said, "You'll come to some glorious countryside.  Great walking.  And there's caving, too.  Some fine caves around Castleton."

"Are they underground or above ground?" came the reply.

Answers on the back of a postcard, please....

Les W

Underground caves are clearly the more interesting, at least they are the type that normally get mentioned in the media.

graham

reminds me of the verse from the old song:

We are the Cerebos cave Club
We are not worth our salt
Max Unwin was our leader
But that was not our fault

He lectured us on caving
His knowledge was profound
He told us that
most caves are
Located underground

dunc

I don't like underground caves, too dark, cold, wet and/or muddy.. Nasty places, wouldn't go near them.

playoutside

Roger W said:

"If you go out along the A57," I said, "You'll come to some glorious countryside.  Great walking.  And there's caving, too.  Some fine caves around Castleton."

Maybe this guy you was talking to was well in the Know???

http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php/topic,10645.0.html

Maybe there is much more to this caving lark than meets the eye :alien:?????? :confused:

robjones

Above ground caves are those caves, formerly underground, that have been quarried away - the voids that formed the caves still exist, its just that the surrounding rock has been removed!  ;)

owd git

Masson quarry above Gentlewomans to be an example of this phenomena, bolted and ready to explore at your leisure. :unsure: O.G.

Mrs Trellis

When we were digging the Hough level the dump was next to a public footpath and frequently we'd be asked by walkers  - "Is it dark down there then?"

biffa

I have people comment on caving in the evening, " but it'll be dark".

Isn't caving above ground almost canyoning (I've read in French canyoning refered to as Speleo en soleil - forgive my appaling French spelling).

Peter Burgess

In an old Surrey stone working there is a borehole in the ceiling which is usually dripping water, sometimes quite profusely, and it is a game of some members when taking youngsters around to say that you can see daylight if you look carefully up the hole.

1) the borehole doesn't go to surface (not that they would know that) and

2) the majority of trips take place on dark evenings.

;)

Brains

When talking to non underground types, I am amzed at how often surprise is shown when I say we go in the evenings in winter - "But isnt it dark at that time of day?..."

playoutside

While we got a rant going about the non caving community :mad:

I work with quite a few old pit men who say " a spent 20 yers darn pit on mi hands n nees crawling in shit! why would anyone wont t do that fo fun?"

Brains

'spose they had no choice...
Used to cave with a miner from Hem Heath, had been known to pull a double shift then go caving before going back on shift. He had been found asleep at more than one pitch bottom!
Reckoned he had crawled 17 miles between the doughty props one week when they broke a production record

Roger W

Some interesting thoughts there...  :)

Stu and Playoutside  -  actually I think the poor lass in question was merely having a Moment of Mental Aberration, as she realised almost immediately what she had said.    ;)

Had one myself the other day - looking at a Travelbag brochure that had come in the post.  On page 5 it said to get more brochures, go to their website and click the 'Order a Brochure' tab at the top of the page...  You guessed it - my eyes went immediately to the top of the (printed) page to look for the tab.    :-[

The mention of caves quarried away raised a rather sad point.  To keep (?) the topic serious, does anybody know how many caves/how much passage we have lost in Derbyshire (and elsewhere...) through quarrying?

Duncan Price

Roger W said:
The mention of caves quarried away raised a rather sad point.  To keep (?) the topic serious, does anybody know how many caves/how much passage we have lost in Derbyshire (and elsewhere...) through quarrying?

The only specific example I can think of is Fairy Cave Quarry where the quarry intercepted a substantial cave system draining to St Dunstan's Well.  According to the Cerberus book on the caves, 4575 m of cave had been found up to 1976 and about 840 m lost to quarrying.  A major part of the well decorated Balch Cave was removed but with recent discoveries, the sum total of lengths of the remaining parts now exceeds the original length of the cave.

dunc

Duncan Price said:
Roger W said:

The only specific example I can think of is Fairy Cave Quarry where the quarry intercepted a substantial cave system draining to St Dunstan's Well.  According to the Cerberus book on the caves, 4575 m of cave had been found up to 1976 and about 840 m lost to quarrying.  A major part of the well decorated Balch Cave was removed but with recent discoveries, the sum total of lengths of the remaining parts now exceeds the original length of the cave.
I think there's a similarly named hole in Weardale; Fairy Holes, if memory serves me right that has lost about 600m.

cavermark

Roger W said:

Last time I went out along the A57 I didn't get to Castleton. It's on the  A6187

Roger W

True,  O geographical pendant!    :bow:

But taking the A57 out of Sheffield does take you to some glorious countryside, and is actually closer to where the lass in question was staying than the A625 which leads to the A6187 which goes to Castleton where the caves are....    ;)

On the other tack, I was a bit surprised to see how little cave has been mentioned as being quarried away.  Somehow I thought there would have been much more than that.