Mines in the via Gellia Cromford

John Buckle

I'm hoping you lot can help me.

Can anyone tell me where I can find infomation on the locations of mines and caves (If there are any caves) and any background information on the systems in the Via Gellia in Cromford.

I am writing a mini guide for the area and need more infomation on mines that I already have and as much as I can get on any that I don't have.

This is the list of mines that I have so far

Good luck mine             Silver eye mine
Gell?s adit             Spencers level
Henstocks     Yulecheese
Groaning  tor level     Clatterway
Slaley sough     Spinney level
Snake lead mine     Dunsley mine
Merry tom adit             Mouldridge mine

cheers & thanks

zomjon

I suppose the PDMS articles will be your best bet for detailed info. Snake is out of the Via Gelia (though not by far - up the Ryder Point road), and Mouldridge is Gratton Dale (way up the rd). Just for interest, (and not meaning any kind of offence) why are you writing a mini guide for an area you seem to have little first hand knowledge of? Some of their locations are listed in the recent Caves of the Peak District and there are photos of most again on various websites, such as flickr, Adit Now and Mine Explorer,
Good Luck, Jon

ttxela

Could be wrong but I don't think Yulecheese is a seperate mine, isn't it the vein in Dunsley Spring?

John Buckle

zomjon said:
Just for interest, (and not meaning any kind of offence) why are you writing a mini guide for an area you seem to have little first hand knowledge of?

Im writing this mini guide because not alot of infomation can be found on the area in one place and any infomation I have find was hard to get hold.

I also work in the area and have spent alot of time in the mines that I know the locations of. I wish to share the area with other cavers who would like to visit the systems in the Via Gellia.

so any infomation I get will help me greatly

cheers
John

Big Jim

Balleye, Rugs Hall (part of Ball eye), Slinterwood Caves, Fountrabbey Sough (part of clatterway), Thumper Sitch (nr Merry Tom). Jacobs Dream.

Then of course there are all the shafts on Black Rakes above Nimblejack (Wirksworth Mines RG have details on this area)

People like Zomjon and Owdgit on forum know the VG well.

J

owd git

hi, have just checked back to a similar post.: 
Re: New books
? Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 11:39:41 am ?

There is now a volume 2

The Mines of the Peak District Vol. 2: Matlock & the Via Gellia

Mine Explorer Byron Machin presents the second volume in a new and comprehensive guide to the accessible underground mine workings in England?s most beautiful national park. Along with information to aid underground exploration, fascinating insights into the mines histories are also provided.The  volume includes all of the currently accessible mines around Matlock Bath, Middleton, Bonsall & Cromford.

A5 paperback, 44 pages, colour, illustrated with photographs.
?4.00 + P&P

http://www.moorebooks.co.uk/shelves/cart.php?target=category&category_id=249

Mike
Though this said you can't have too much of a good thing. ( A. R. of PDHMS is also a good source. as is Mr, T Woods.)
Still evidence of cuppola smelting too if you look!
Best of luck , keep us posted. Please. Owd  Git.  (y)

ttxela

I've got Byrons book and it's pretty good and covers a few not already mentioned in this thread. That said it is a "field guide" and as such each mine is limited to a grid ref, a brief location description and a few lines or a paragraph or two at most.

I reckon you might be onto something if you can include a bit more information on each site  :-\

Lampwick

The PDMHS bulletins are a good source of info, try Vols 4.6, 5.1, 5.3 and 6.6 for starters.  PDMHS members can contact the Mining Museum and they'll dig them out for you (best done by appointment).  If you ain't, then Chesterfield Library have the full collection.

If that isn't enough, the Goodluck Mine Preservation Club have working days on the first Sunday of the month, you could pop in and have a chat.

moorebooks

Lampwick said:
The PDMHS bulletins are a good source of info, try Vols 4.6, 5.1, 5.3 and 6.6 for starters.  PDMHS members can contact the Mining Museum and they'll dig them out for you (best done by appointment).  If you ain't, then Chesterfield Library have the full collection.

If that isn't enough, the Goodluck Mine Preservation Club have working days on the first Sunday of the month, you could pop in and have a chat.

Most of the out of Print PDHMS Bulletins are now on line http://www.pdmhs.com/BulletinIndex.asp There is also Jim Riewerts series on Lead Mining In the Peak District , the original lead mining Peak District volumes will also provide a useful for research

Mike

zippy

owd git said:
hi, have just checked back to a similar post.: 
Re: New books
? Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 11:39:41 am ?

There is now a volume 2

The Mines of the Peak District Vol. 2: Matlock & the Via Gellia

Mine Explorer Byron Machin presents the second volume ...

Not wishing to take this too far off-topic, I have had the "misfortune" to see Byron's latest "field guide".  Some proof reading might have been in order methinks - he gives the late Ron Paulson as the contact for WMRG  :( 

nickwilliams

zippy said:
Not wishing to take this too far off-topic, I have had the "misfortune" to see Byron's latest "field guide".  Some proof reading might have been in order methinks - he gives the late Ron Paulson as the contact for WMRG  :(

I think you mean Roy Paulson.

Nick.

zomjon

Had A good trip in Thumper Siitch tonight, couple of bats (Jim), some hanging death, shaft to hop over and some lovely cave pearls. The entrance needed a bit of digging out.

owd git

So did I. then a pint (Ahem!!! ) in the Barley Mow ( caver friendly,  and the home of Hen racing.!!! (y))
How deep is that shaft Jim? ... Anyone?.... if no reply we'll  use it as a wezzit? ! :beer:
If we can get 'it' back from Dunc  & the good people of gods county.( it'll be with them soon if it's not yet!) (y)
Owd Git.

Big Jim

Glad you have finally found it and managed to get over the whinze.  Not sure how deep it is or of it goes but would be worth a look as Im sure there is another level downhill that looks like it was driven to intersect some lower workings that the shaft dropped into.  Or maybe not.

Any idea what flavour the bats were?

owd git

Brandts' / whiskered, suggest active as the were both very near the entrance 1 @ 3M. in other 5 or
so M. in.
Not looking 'properly snuggled ' for winter. (y)
More moths than you could shake a tatty stick at so good pickings for them .
A bottle of my 'special' cider to anyone who posts a piccie of / description shaft bott.
6' bar , take spanner / hanger if you went to use existing spit.