Trips in Derbyshire

anfieldman

My fiancee and I are members of the Cheddar Caving Club who are visiting friends etc on Wednesday 20th December.
Can anybody recommend a fairly easy (i.e. non SRT or ladders required) cave in Derbyshire that can be done in 2-3 hours? Something relatively interesting and pretty if possible. Lots of tight squeezes would be good too, the cave I'm talking about, this is not a contact add!
Also we would need a cave that has not got restricted access as we have very limited time and it is not possible for us to go key hunting.
I hope this is not too much to ask but any suggestions would we welcome.

Cheers

Mark & Meg

Brains

A Derbyshire key is an adjustable spanner....
Non Ladder / SRT trips?
Well, for the masochist there is Carlswark, for the mine enthusiast Holme Bank.
Others to consider might include Jug Holes, the entrance series of Giants, a wander up Mandale sough, Devonshire, Wapping / Cumberland. With the addition of one short ladder the Giants round trip is yours for the taking, but 3 hours might be a tad opimistic but not undoable by a long way (sub 1 hour is easily achievable). I am sure there will be many other suggestions...

Stu

Is the non SRT/ladder bit because you don't want or can't?

Stoney Middleton may be your oyster BTW. Loads of bits to do.

R

RM

Firstly, Gautries does not flood, so would be fine in any weather

Secondly if its not too wet how about Streaks Pot

Also in stoney. Its a through thrip, but there are a couple of awkward climbs if you go in from the top entrance, which are worth taking a line for.

Great fun, tight and sporting, with a streamway, cant ask for more than that

AndyF

Masson Mine is a good place, lots to see and explore with no real difficulties, you might even stumble on the round trip, there are coffin levels to see, plus assorted bits of machinery and some great minerals.. Jug holes is similar, no problems but you can make it as long as you want...

Cave wise, Carlswark would be a good bet IMO, plenty to do......

anfieldman

stu said:

The SRT is because we can't (yet) and the ladders because we are doing what seems to be a round trip of Britain before we get to Derbyshire. With our caving gear plus all the usual kit that women seem to want to take with them if they have to stay away for more than one night, my car will only hold so much
Seriously though, as it is just the two of us we want to keep the trip as safe as possible. Titan can wait until our training officer does his bit.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We will start to look into them. Literally.
:clap:

nickwilliams

I live right in the middle of the Peak District (Stoney Middleton is about 5 minutes away, Perryfoot (where P8 is) about 10). I can lend you a ladder if you want one and don't want to carry it with you. PM me if you're interested.

Nick.

Piglet

stu said:
RM said:
Firstly, Gautries does not flood, so would be fine in any weather

Sorry to nit pick but it can and does and I've seen/felt the effects.

Yes, I've not seen it, but I was told by someone I wouldn't question that the entrance can actually pond altogether.  As I understand it, Gautries and P8 take most of the water from Rushups Edge, not Giants as you'd think.

Piglet

I'd opt for Stoney Middleton Dale and Carlswark, which a lot of people seem to hate, but I think it's a great trip, there's a bit of everything (but a lot of stooping/hands and knees crawling too, it must be admitted) and there's plenty of other bits and pieces to check out in the valley.

Masson Mine is also really good, particularly if you're interested in mines/mining/geology.

SamT

It has to be Giants as far as garlands pot  - then back to base camp chamber - go upstream from there - and have root around in the upperseries. head out, and try the Tea pot handle - a small tight oxbow in the right hand wall (heading in) Its only about 10 feet long - and you can see right though from one end to the other  - ist just quite tight - but if you like squeezes - its a good un.
Wanted Inn for a pint after.

Pitlamp

Sadly, at various times in the past the Stoney area has almost been the equivalent of Burrington on Mendip for cars being broken into.  You said you'd have a car full of stuff; be very wary of leaving it unattended; it's best to dump all your stuff wherever you're staying so the car is obviously empty.

Also, the Peak District is VERY wet at the moment; caves which don't flood normally can do very quickly in these conditions.

SamT

Pitlamp said:
Sadly, at various times in the past the Stoney area has almost been the equivalent of Burrington on Mendip for cars being broken into.  You said you'd have a car full of stuff; be very wary of leaving it unattended; it's best to dump all your stuff wherever you're staying so the car is obviously empty.

Also, the Peak District is VERY wet at the moment; caves which don't flood normally can do very quickly in these conditions.

Another reason for doing giants - away from the road parking. And no bother from flooding (wouldnt reccomend streaks, or gautries in this weather at the mo).

SamT

Yea - bagshawe would be good if you contact peter revell to arrange access - his no is hope valley - six2Ofiveforty.

Iain Barker

Dear anfieldman, regarding suggestions about "wandering up Mandale Sough". Please don't, if caught (there is strictly no access) it could well result in the loss of access to nearly all the Lathkill caves and about twenty others when Chatsworth close thier sites to cavers. I reckon Brightgate fits your bill exactly (try and find the dog skeleton!)

Cheers
Iain

AndyF

Iain Barker said:
Dear anfieldman, regarding suggestions about "wandering up Mandale Sough". Please don't, if caught (there is strictly no access) it could well result in the loss of access to nearly all the Lathkill caves and about twenty others when Chatsworth close thier sites to cavers. I reckon Brightgate fits your bill exactly (try and find the dog skeleton!)

Cheers
Iain

Hi Iain,

I had no idea there was access problem to Mandale. Just looking at the HnH web site it says..

Access: No problem, as it's just next to the Lathkill public footpath, but be aware it is within a National Nature Reserve. An agreement has been drawn up between the Derbyshire Caving Association and English Nature. Basically, no prior permission is required, but.... all lights must be electric (i.e. no Carbide) and all visitors must be affiliated in one way or another to the National Caving Association, and the rest is just common sense....

Has the situation changed from this? I know a spanner is needed, has been for some years...and access could also be obtained via Aquaduct level.

I know the shaft in the top field has been off limits for some years.

Cheers

Andy

E

emgee

stu said:

Stoney Middleton may be your oyster BTW. Loads of bits to do.

Merlin mine? The trade routes go down and right. Going up and left is much more fun in your circumstances.