Current Water Levels in Peak Cavern

paul

Anybody know what the water levels in Peak Cavern at the moment?

What are the chances of getting from the bottom of Titan to Peak this weekend - assuming he weather remains dry until then?

I heard that a party had to abandon a trip in Peak last Sunday (10 Feb) bcause of water levels - but I don't know if this was the case.

Mark

Loads of snow melt last weekend, should be ok this weekend its been dry all week

Pitlamp

Paul - when you get home on Sunday night please can you post some info yourself?  I may get chance to go in there early next week.  If you go into the main streamway in Peak it'd be extremely helpful to know how much Far Sump is flowing but, even if you don't, any info on how wet the system is would be very helpful.

Ta.

paul

Mark said:
Loads of snow melt last weekend, should be ok this weekend its been dry all week

But not today! Thanks. Water levels around my area (Winster) still seem pretty high - but I don't know about underground.

paul

Pitlamp said:
Paul - when you get home on Sunday night please can you post some info yourself?  I may get chance to go in there early next week.  If you go into the main streamway in Peak it'd be extremely helpful to know how much Far Sump is flowing but, even if you don't, any info on how wet the system is would be very helpful.

Will do.

S

SLP

Will be walking past Peak with the dog in about an hour - will have a look then.... Yesterday it was a tad on the low side of "usual winter" but we've had 6mm of rain overnight.
http://w01-0504.web.dircon.net/pdc/weather.htm
I would guess Speedwell will be noisy and Peak relatively low today. Not seen a forecast though.....
Will let you know what it looks like when I get back in.

S

SLP

15:30 Friday
http://w01-0504.web.dircon.net/photos/temp_001.jpg
Peak Resurgence, Slop Moll and Russet all around normal winter levels.  As you can see in the photo the flow from Russet Well isn't a lot.  We've had 8mm since midnight but not a lot during the week.  I'd say see what happens overnight, see what the forecast is and judge it tomorrow.
Hope this helps.

Pitlamp

Thanks all - I'd really welcome an update Sunday evening though - am still hoping for the chance to get another session done in Far Sump in the first half of next week, if it's not gone down too much.  It'd be great if anyone gets chance to see if it's flowing.

Cheers for the messages so far.

S

SLP

Peak Cavern: 18:00.
10mm of rain since midnight - http://w01-0504.web.dircon.net/pdc/weather.htm

Forecast for the weekend doesn't look too bad - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/em/bakewell_forecast_weather.html

Russet Well and Slop Moll are still at about "winter normal".  Obviously can't say for sure but I wouldn't envisage any major problems in Speedwell.

paul

SLP said:
Peak Cavern: 18:00.
10mm of rain since midnight - http://w01-0504.web.dircon.net/pdc/weather.htm

Forecast for the weekend doesn't look too bad - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/em/bakewell_forecast_weather.html

Russet Well and Slop Moll are still at about "winter normal".  Obviously can't say for sure but I wouldn't envisage any major problems in Speedwell.

Thanks.

paul

Pitlamp said:
Thanks all - I'd really welcome an update Sunday evening though - am still hoping for the chance to get another session done in Far Sump in the first half of next week, if it's not gone down too much.  It'd be great if anyone gets chance to see if it's flowing.

Cheers for the messages so far.

Far Sump: The water was crystal clear and 18 inches deep at the guide-line anchor.

Speedwell Streamway and the Bung were very high on Saturday.

Treasury Sump was very low today.

Hope that helps.

Pitlamp

Sorry - that should have read flow out of FAR Sump.  The project in there involved digging and it's essential it's flowing so that visibility is maintained at the dig site.

paul

There was quite a lot of water flowing out of Far Sump - the Streamway had a reasonable amount of water all the way to Buxton Water Sump which was about waist deep as you approached the point where the roof meets the water.

Pitlamp

Thanks Paul - the bit about it flowing strongly is what I wanted to hear.  Looks like game on then for the coming week.

J

Jen-in-Wellies

Hi Paul,
Thanks for letting us in on your trip. We rigged Titan with your ropes and three of us successfully made it through to Peak. The Speedwell streamway was high, but not in flood. The bung was a pressure washer, but negotiable.
Did Orpheus go down in the end?

Jenny

paul

Jen-in-Wellies said:
Hi Paul,
Thanks for letting us in on your trip. We rigged Titan with your ropes and three of us successfully made it through to Peak. The Speedwell streamway was high, but not in flood. The bung was a pressure washer, but negotiable.
Did Orpheus go down in the end?

Jenny

Yes - a group of OCC members (I couldn't make it on Saturday) did drop down Titan and also exited the same way and de-rigged as well.

We also had a trip around Peak Cavern yesterday - some on a tourist trip and some to the foot of Titan and back.

Pitlamp

Paul - thanks for your advice - I got a good dive in today at Far Sump and made quite a lot of progresss digging in the main feeder.

If anyone is interested, if the water is coming over the Buxton Water dam (at the end of the 5 Arches) at least 40 mm deep then Far Sump is flowing enough for this digging project.  It's a useful thing to notice - more reliable than looking at the Slop Moll / Russet Well flow as these are influenced by Speedwell (and also oscillate slowly in certain conditions, due to the siphon effect at Whirlpool Rising and also sometimes Main Rising).

Anyway, cheers for your help.

paul

Pitlamp said:
Paul - thanks for your advice - I got a good dive in today at Far Sump and made quite a lot of progresss digging in the main feeder.

If anyone is interested, if the water is coming over the Buxton Water dam (at the end of the 5 Arches) at least 40 mm deep then Far Sump is flowing enough for this digging project.  It's a useful thing to notice - more reliable than looking at the Slop Moll / Russet Well flow as these are influenced by Speedwell (and also oscillate slowly in certain conditions, due to the siphon effect at Whirlpool Rising and also sometimes Main Rising).

Anyway, cheers for your help.

No problem - glad to be of assistance.

I presume there will be some more details of recent activty for publishing in the DCA Newsletter? :)