Dr Jacksons

SamT

Anyone got the gen on Dr Jackson.

Anyone been over the rock bridge and beyond? is the climbing *that* tricky?

Not to worried about the Yoga squeeze. Know someone quite a bit bigger than me that got through.

H

hoehlenforscher

eeeeeeeeeeee brings back nightmares that name does  :eek:

been to the end twice but that was 20 years ago so it may have been extended?

Yoga hole was pretty straightforward if you are bendy enough but a bugger if you're not. Silty crawls at the start were completely blocked last time we went there.

Can't remember a rock bridge but I can't remember a lot from that period of my life  8) ;)

bubba

Administrator
From what i remember of the very distant past when i was there, Yoga Hole involves a big natural thread atop vertical(ish) tube into a pool of water. I squeezed under the thread, then sort of sat up and brought my legs underneath me (hence the "yoga" i presume) and then dropped feet first down the tube. I was slimmer then but it wasn't anything nasty - we turned back at the rock bridge, so can't help you there :)

underground

I managed it Sam, it's fine - getting back out is more a case of correct positioning than owt else....

As for the rock bridge, I can't remember - we seemed to reach a vertical pitch and didn't have any tackle...

SamT

COTPD suggests there is quite a bit of cave beyond the rock bridge, dangerous traverses etc - awkward rigs etc. just wondering if its worth the hassle.

Oh - and are those pitches P bolted??

I know its 3 8m pitches

Rob

SamT said:
there is quite a bit of cave beyond the rock bridge, dangerous traverses etc - awkward rigs etc. just wondering if its worth the hassle.
Sounds like it is to me  (y)

bubba

Administrator
I remember doing one traverse somewhere - it had an in-situ rope and crossed a very steep muddly slope - don't remember it being awful but i guess if the rope wasn't there things would have been different - of course i may be getting mixed up as this was almost 20 years ago :)

I'm sure you'll be fine just to do the climb Sam - "very good climber" in the old COTP sense probably means 4c or something; it's not going to be something really hard. Or i guess you could drag a pad, chalk-bucket and boots in :LOL:

T

T pot 1

Dr Jacksons is a pussy of a cave
getting to the end requires a little fore thought (the traverse across to the rock bridge is rigged but with the corlene ropes installed by the PCC) these are mega unsafe) As for bolting myself & T Revel installed new spits
the way across to the rock bridge is down then up then down & up again by the leader who then belays the traverse for the rest to follow
easy when youve done it once or thrice
just be aware that rescue from the last sump (very awkward to access) or indeed the whole cave would be difficult & protracted

Why not try the connection between Dr Jackson & Perryfoot cave that Tony & I made 1999
now thats a real toughie

T pot

D

Dave H

T pot 1 said:
Dr Jacksons is a pussy of a cave
Why not try the connection between Dr Jackson & Perryfoot cave that Tony & I made 1999
now thats a real toughie

T pot

:eek: :eek: :eek:

SamT

Top trip - certainly packs a lot in.

Mostly tight crawls - Very interesing and technical squeezes (yoga  hole - I had to *actually* think about it for a change) thought provoking rigging, technical back and footing traverses etc.

It has to be said that the descriptions in COTHP are not wildly accurate - especially when it comes to pitches. I'd say Ian Barkers Classic Caves is slightly better.

All the rigging and insitue gear is rather manky at best. Adds to the alpine feel to the trip.

I think jules is going to write a trip report which will flesh out the details.

SamT

so - tpot - where was this connection then.

Is it a climb up somewhere (perhaps between the first and 2nd pitches ??).

T

T pot 1

Just replied to Sam T

but forgot to copy n paste to the forum have asked him to paste it for me

Just a few other notes
the way to the last sump is after the last traverse i.e the Chasm, the passage down to the sump is on the left, but is hard to find, you are looking for a tight rift maybe 1' wide and now more than 2' high if you look into it, it looks like it won't go because of a calcite boss, here you have to do a bit of a maneuver, turn left, turn sharp right, twist down on your front and then try and find some hand holes to go down the rest of the boss, at the bottom is a small beach with the sup in front of you
best of luck getting back to the main passage

Another point of interest by the way is its been stated that the cave ends in a series of muddy crawls, it does if the hydro phreatic nature of the cave has been in evidence in very wet weather, it the will be not possible to reach the ninth chamber this is because the passage a short descending then sharply ascending passage after the Chasm fills with shale lumps but it is possible to dig this out easily in a time to get to the ninth

oh & by the way if you climb up the roof choke in the ninth and inspect the rubble, yes rubble you can find evidence of T owd mans shot holes in it
this is because you are very close to Coalpithole Rake
maybe theres more to be found but its one hell of a digging trip

T pot 

SamT

t pots post...

Shame you missed the sump to me its one of the technical bits of the trip apart from Yoga Hole, the drafting bits at the end have had me puzzled from way back in the early 1970 & thats after probably some 60 trips into the place, as an aside in reply to other posts we took 40s diving cylinders into the sump base for T Jarrett to dive it

Bit of where the cave is propably going to go next!
come through Yoga Hole & go up the slope you then come into an hading rift with a passage on the right leading to the upstream sump
go pass this and you next pass over a lip into a washing up bowl feature before the first traverse, here look back to your left, if conditions are right there should be an eye shaped passage in the floor, myself and
T Revell pushed this for some 30' by removing gritstone cobbles the size of footballs only to thwarted after a prolonged winter (they went back to where we had  taken them from) nice passage all the same

Now then the connection

Go down the entrance boulder choke & follow anvil passage to a T junction (straight on and up a few climbs you can come out of an alternative entrance, tight & nasty that part)
Back to the T junction hang a left to wards Yoga hole & just before the kink in the passage there is a left turn, follow this, take a right & follow the draft & eventually you will come to the bottom of a mud filled 30 degree rift, now the trick is to thrutch, stand on yer mates head n grab wot u can to come out of it at the top (best of luck cos its f****n tight
this is where you realize your in Perryfoot Cave
Best done from Dr Jacksons side because its hard to locate the other way around
By the way it did appear in Descent that a connection was made some long years back if i remember correctly

T pot

Reckon we did reach the 9th chamber - traverse over the top of the chasm...up and down some silty crawls into a nicely sculptered chamber, low crawls off closed down quite quickly - climb up a rift on the left that seemed to draft quite strongly. didnt climb up it far enough to see rubble.

I believe it would be perfectly possible to carry cylinders through the cave - I just dont think it would be possible to descend yoga hole *wearing* them.

I distincly remember the washing up bowl feature - I washed my wellys it !!!  :LOL:

I'd quite  like to do another trip in there. look at the connection to perry foot. and also scope that crawl - I think I did spy something at foot level, with a bit of rope in it somewhere.

JB

Thanks for the info T Pot. Interesting stuff that! Reckon I saw the rift passage down to the final sump on the way out. I had a quick look down it but didn't try to get in it.

Yep - I'd have another trip down there (with fewer ladders).

SamT

what about one morning next week - monday would suit - we could have a jaunt round perryfoot and have a *look* at this connection. (no ladders needed).

JB

Ey up Sam, I've a nagging suspicion someone may be expecting me to work on Monday (inconvenient!) but it's not in my diary. Will find out today and let you know later. I've got one of your knee pads as well as all that other stuff!

T

T pot 1

If you go in on monday have look at the upstream sump its after Yoga Hole about half way along the  hading rift just before the washing up bowl
with dry conditions like this it may be possible to dig it we think that this sump maybe a long type of duck
have a look, tell me what you think

T pot

bubba

Administrator
T Pot - why have you got 2 usernames? This isn't really allowed and i'll have to delete one of them  - would you rather keep "T Pot" or "T Pot 1".

SamT

given that Tpot hasn't used "T pot" since 2004 - I'd guess he'd rather keep "T pot 1" which is the one he uses regularly (and the one he can probably remember the password for eh T.  ;) )