Derbyshire Names

seddon

So - why 'Ghost Rift'?

It's a quiet day at work...

Any other stories of interesting names also welcome, esp. in Giant's context. Ta!

Pitlamp

I think it's explained in one of the series of classic articles in the BSA Cave Science journals written by the late Les Salmon. You should find these in your own club library.

Incidentally there's a squeeze in the nearby Nettle Pot called the "dratsab". See if you can work that one out.

D

darkplaces

I still think the "woggle press" is the funniest yet..

Please no "oh thats so horrid, what have you got against scouts" blah blah blah 

OOps sorry thats not in Derbyshire... drat! Worth saying it though.

shotlighter

Suspect that the Crab Walk had something to do with the RockyHorror Show - "It's just a step to the left, then a step to the left, then a step........lets do the Crab Walk again". Repeat 'till utterly fed up!

shotlighter

Pitlamp said:
Incidentally there's a squeeze in the nearby Nettle Pot called the "dratsab". See if you can work that one out.
There's quite a few Derbyshire names on similar lines "Elbon's Kram" in Hunger Hill springs to mind - is this unique to the Peak I wonder?

paul

Bat girl said:
Egnaros aven is another

Egnaro rather than Egnaors. :)

And Namraed Sump in Bagshaw Cavern, Nomis Chamber in Owl Hole plus a few others I cannot remember just now. Is this just a Peak thing using backwards names?

Wouldn't it be a good idea to include something along the lines of "Who Was Aveline Anyway?" (the book which gives the derivation of names used on Mendip) for the Peak and another for Yorkshire, South Wales, etc? Maybe the Wiki?

It would be a pity to lose some of the meanings, especially those with historic interest.

Beardy

Hi Tony

The BSA suff can be found in their Cave Science Journal 
Refs- given below

- no's 25 & 29 give a lot of information - but don't actually explain the reason to the naming of Ghost Rift

Although - it does give the reason for "Garlands Pot" - it was discovered during the Castleton Garlands week - 1954 

Regards
Beardy

BSA - Journal and Proceedings (1947 - 1973)
Anon. 1948 Cave Rescue - Accident at Giants Hole Vol 1 (3) p 99
Atkinson F. 1948 Giants Hole, Castleton, Derbyshire Vol 1 (5) pp 132 - 140 (S)
Salmon L.B. 1955 Giants Hole, Castleton, Derbyshire [a] Vol 4 (25) pp 1 - 33 (P,S)
Salmon L.B. 1959 Giants Hole, Castleton, Derbyshire Vol 4 (29) pp 230 - 241 (S)
Salmon L.B. 1965 Some Aspects of the Geology of Giants Hole [Derbyshire] Vol 5 (38) pp 287 - 297 (F)

Pitlamp

Quite right Graham - it's upwards on the way back.

Egnaro Aven is of course orange spelt backwards. It comes from the early 80's when there was an advert on the telly (I forget what) for something which was "egnaro flavoured". Tim Nixon was responsible for that one. It leads to Colostomy Crawl, the meaning of which is lost on people nowadays because conditions in there were very different when we first got into it.

And what about Grip Sheets Tomb? This was an anagram produced by the late Keith Bentham, being a rearrangement of "Peter Smith's gob". (Anyone who knew these two at the time will understand!)

Here are a few more (in the Peak system) for folks to ponder on. See if you can guess the reasons:

Secret Sump
Doux De Castleton
Joint Effort
Donatella's Aven
Balcombe's Way
Mendip Beer Monster's Secret Tap Room
Bog Pipe Rift.

Elaine

Secret Sump: Was hidden behind a rock when originally found
Doux de Castleton: Similar to Doux de Coly
Joint Effort: Awkward squeeze - first dug out by two people, but needs a bit of contortionism to get through.
Donatella's Aven: Very Pretty and decorative
Balcombe's Way: Named after Graham Balcombe who once looked at it and said it had potential.
Mendip Beer Monster's Secret Tap Room: A Mr F. found chamber through a sump.
Bog Pipe Rift: a rift entered by a U bend.

All guesses, but one must be close at least!

fi

'Morning Elaine,

Mendip Beer Monster's Secret Tap Room... Don't think it was Mr F who found it but believe it was named in his honour (possibly by RC and friends?).

seddon

Pitlamp - are these all named by you? Sly old dog...

I'm now getting old enough that I was caving when most of these were first named...But still no explanation of Ghost Rift!

Here's one - not in the Peak - Curious Love Extensions. A collector's piece; but where, and why?

Pitlamp

Not bad guessing Elaine - you're part way there with 3 of these:

Secret Sump - was originally just a floor of rocks before we dug it out; the cave was keeping this 40 metre deep sump a secret!

Doux De Castleton - a magnificent underwater shaft in the Mian Rising sump, bearing a marked resemblance to a similar feature in France's Doux De Coly.

The Mendip Beer Monster's Secret Tap Room was indeed named after a certain Mr.F of the Wessex C C who is noted for his skill with a pint pot. The Wessex was staying at the Chapel on the day that RLC & I bolted up into it and Pete Hann was conscripted to take some photographs (as was Clive W, who strangely enough is now a Wessex member too!).

You're miles out on the other 4 names though . . . .

mrodoc

I seem to remember reading or hearing that Ghost Rift was named after somebody heard strange noises in there. As regards Curious Love it's in Dallimores Cave on Mendip and was based on the comment of a digger. I got this out of Rich Witcombes book Who was Aveline anyway? available at all reputable speleo book stores i.e. bat products.

seddon

Spoilsport, Mr O'Doc! Indeed, it was a kind of curious love that prompted all the return trips...

Pitlamp:

Bog Pipe Rift - line belays (on the day to the Doux?)

Balcolme's Way - had Graham just died? Around that time, surely.

Otherwise, stumped.