The Delph

T

T pot 1

Hey up
Has anyone any idea who diverted the stream in the Delph into an old blocked mine shaft ?
Whoever it was as opened a nice new swallet hole up. This will now be fenced off for the time being in order for it to stabalise. No access should be attempted until further notice, this was asked for by a member of eyam parish council

T.pot

Rob

This one, i presume?
3504386776_fa76721600_b.jpg

This was taken three weekends ago...

T

T pot 1

Yep thats the  one its now approx 30 to 35ft deep now with solid walls at the bottom and it looks like open passage beyond there

T pot

PS I will photograph and post on here

MarkC

A couple of us cleared out some of the rubbish from there a few weeks ago but it was just some of the old metal sheets & pipes on the surface.  Its a bit worrying to think that it has now collapsed, as we were standing right on top of it! 

Natural England has recommended its taped off for H&S.  (Tpot is the Dam that allows the water to flow down the brook OK or does that need repairing?)

Going to have a look tonight, will be there between 6:30 and 7, with additional tape & posts should it be required.

Mark C

P.S. its not a mine but a natural sink hole that was dug out in the 1970's and then filled back in.

T

T pot 1

Sam
This is now fenced off with signs stating that there is unsafe ground. Can anyone please stay away from the area as it is a triple si and the parish council for the moment do not want this swallet descending ! If we are patient then an agreement will be no doubt reached for further access by the DCA.

T pot

JonP

had a quick look tonight (11pm) looks pretty interesting.

but im sure it was dug in the seventies to reach a rift which went for 18m before too tight to progress? water backed up to 15m mark. entrance was lined for 4m with oil drums.

John B

Good effort getting the hole taped off so quickly.

For the record, it is Delph Top Sink. In the late 1970s it was found to be an open hole below about 4ft of topsoil, with the stream reaching it via an earth tunnel from a sink against the eastern cliff face. It opens into a rift which extends westwards under the path (and surface stream), which was rather unstable. The water disappeared into a tiny tube in the north (Eyam) wall about 30ft down. It was dug to about 65ft, but the water still backed up to the 30ft mark and had to be baled with a winch and galvanised dustbin before each digging session.

It was allowed to fill back up naturally with silt and pebbles, and was capped. I assumed it was full to the top, but water continued to sink. The capping materials were jammed in the top. I think local kids keep diverting the stream back in, and those in charge of the nature reserve divert it away again. It appears that the kids won.

The water gets to the Boil-up in Glebe Mine without going to the streamway in Carlswark, so it is a potentially interesting spot, but  I don't think it will ever go anywhere as a dig. Even so it would be nice to put one of those bits of big plastic water pipe in the top down to the solid limestone.

T

T pot 1

Went to inspect the fence this morning and looked down the hole oooooer ! the bottom as fallen out of it yet again  :cry: now you can see a blackhole that is definatley true vertical with no sign of a tight rift or a chance of the water backing up.

t pot

martinb

T pot 1 said:
Went to inspect the fence this morning and looked down the hole oooooer ! the bottom as fallen out of it yet again  :cry: now you can see a blackhole that is definatley true vertical with no sign of a tight rift or a chance of the water backing up.

t pot

It looked decidedly dodgy when MarkC and myself went up for a quick nebby yesterday. The outer rim of the original floor had big cracks in the soil, and some of those rocks below the fill were held together with fresh air and god's will!

We tried to see if the bottom was visible by shining a torch down - nope!

Good job with the fencing!  (y)

Martin

T

T pot 1

Thanks for the applaud on the fencing job  ::) Did another inspection this afternoon and the hole is getting deeper still, with a modicum of self stabalisation all of the big stuff  seams to be in the bottom now but not blocing the way on down  ::) If all things are equal I may have permission for a descent in the next few days, I will post when, but for now please stay away

T pot

SamT

I believe that there is still plenty of that blue pipe up at nicks place, and possibly some still left in Crewe if your wanting to do a similar thing to Flower pot.

T

T pot 1

Sam it would be nice to put the blue pipe in but there are  a couple of problems associated with this firstly the swallet is in a nature reserve with no vehicular access close by and secondly the swallet is huge, the pipe bit if you could get it there would easy to install but then you have to bury it, I estimate that this would take approx 20 to 25 cubic metres of backfill to achieve this now thats a tall order. Anyone have any more ideas because i'm stuck on this one

T pot

Rob

Pipe in question...
Flowerpot10.jpg

630mm polyethylene pipe, with a Standard Diameter Ratio of 11, is about 99kg per meter. I think those length are ~1.5m long, so you've got ~150kg lift. Enough people and a few lengths of 2be4 will get it there easy.

One plan would be to stack a few lengths, starting at 1m above floor level using a scaf frame, and working up. Then if any subsidence occurs from the surrounding area at least it won't block it totally. Let it naturally backfill...

You really need someone to get down there soon and check it all out. Permission shouldn't be too difficult to get, it's soo close to that footpath it's in NE's interest...

martinb

T pot 1 said:
Sam it would be nice to put the blue pipe in but there are  a couple of problems associated with this firstly the swallet is in a nature reserve with no vehicular access close by and secondly the swallet is huge, the pipe bit if you could get it there would easy to install but then you have to bury it, I estimate that this would take approx 20 to 25 cubic metres of backfill to achieve this now thats a tall order. Anyone have any more ideas because i'm stuck on this one

T pot

You're right there. Given its location - a good couple of hundred yards from the road in any direction, bringing any gear/spoil/infill would be a major task and would probably create more damage to the Nature Reserve (SSSi?) than necessary.

The swallet is big - I estimated about 12' by 15' - eliptical is shape, and about 8' to the bed rock - so you are looking at the best part of 1000 cubic feet of infill.

Possibly, but only if it definately needs to be secured, would be to ginge the shaft off the bedrock - there's plenty of loose stuff around to do so, then plonk a metal frame on top secured onto the ginging.

Martin

JonP

You should be able to do it over a weekend surely? you know like flower pot? ::)

nah on serious note im up for helping.

Hanging Death

That's a big hole, slightly worrying that me and MarkC were standing on top of it removing old bits of pipe and tin sheet.

Will the shaft need a lid on it? As for getting gear up there, is there any chance/advantage to asking for access over the fields at the other end of the delph?

I'll be able to lend a hand with whatever needs doing.

T

T pot 1

Hi
I will be at the hole in the Delph on Sunday Morning at around 11.00 if anyone would like to join me feel free to come along ;) bring a flask & butties it may be a long day :cry: aftewards we can retire to the Red Lion at Litton for a beer

T pot