Caving exercises

Alex

When we come out of lockdown I want to be ready to go, so what is the best way to stay cave fit?

Currently: I am running about 10 miles a week and doing 30 press ups a day, should I inc-operate anything else, what about core muscles, I know caving normally taxes those muscle groups so any advice for that, short of crawling around my living room floor pushing a heavy tackle bag (I soon got bored of that in Lockdown 1).

Baring in mind the house is rented currently (though I should be moving soon) so I can't go around putting up SRT courses in it.

If I get the opportunity to go abroad in summer (I can hope!) I wan't to be fit enough for those deeper caves, because I certainly was not when it came to Berger last year.

Hopefully whatever advice is produced will help others who want to keep/get cave fit too.

JoshW

Ian Ball said:

I've been doing quite a bit of yoga since lockdown 1 and have been using 'yoga with Adrienne' on youtube. She's got one for climbers, which felt quite relevant, but has lots of different videos for different levels of ability and different lengths/focusses etc.

Can highly recommend.

Alex

Battle your way through the undergrowth at the local park...

Well that would get me ready for Matienzo, just needs to 30 degrees C too!

Yoga

I've been doing quite a bit of yoga since lockdown 1 and have been using 'yoga with Adrienne' on youtube. She's got one for climbers, which felt quite relevant, but has lots of different videos for different levels of ability and different lengths/focusses etc.

Can highly recommend.

Well I have never tried but it sounds like something I should try, I used to do martial arts so hopefully it won't be massively difficult for me, I will check it out.

Pitlamp

I remember the first yoga session I went to in our village hall in the Dales.
I thought it was going to be easy. Just shows how wrong you can be. But I was amazed by just how quickly you can make gains, if you stick at it.

It's great for strength & flexibility (and possibly also stamina, depending on the style) so very useful for cavers generally.

SamT

I used to do martial arts so hopefully it won't be massively difficult for me

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

If you go to the right class - you'll ache in places you never knew you could ache. 
If you want it hot - go to a hot yoga class.  I love it.  Cross between a sauna and yoga.  Obv not an option in covid times.

SamT

I should expand, and say that there is actually a lot more to yoga than it looks.  I've been to various different classes and styles over the years.  More recently we've dropped on a class and the teacher is amazing.  Its super technical and its revealed just how 'wrong' I've been doing a lot of the poses over the years.  Can be flipping hard work.  She does 3 levels, beginner, 1 and 2, and after 25 years of yoga on and off, I'm somewhere between beginner and level one in her classes.  :-[

thehungrytroglobite

I actually made a caving workout tutorial a few months ago!

https://www.facebook.com/100007093184775/videos/2793698474209898/

Hope it helps x

I was told about a workout regime years ago for Marble Sink.

Equipment:
Two chairs
One Tackle Sack
A Connected Hose
A Friend
Something to hold the hose (A second friend if you can make one)

Plank across the two chairs whilst lifting the tackle sack at full arm?s length repeatedly whilst someone lies underneath you punching you in the gut. Hose must discharging in your face.

Focus: Core, Arms, Misery