Merlin's Mine

Madness

We were down Merlin's last night and noticed something that interested me.

Just after the turn off to Gimli's Dream you turn right towards the streamway. The roof of this passage is scalloped and to me it would appear to be a phreatic tube extended downwards by miners to make a walking passage. The thing is, the roof of the original phreatic tube appears to veer left after a few metres away from the passage to the streamway. I should have had a better look, but we were a bit short on time.

Surely someone must have noticed this before and investigated? I can't believe the late great John Beck would have missed this.

Rob

Madness, finding it difficult to know where you mean. Can you mark it on this survey?

Attachments

• Merlins.JPG
    Merlins.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 201

Madness

alastairgott said:
Madness, Go back to Merlins in Dry Conditions. It's amazing!

It was too wet last night to go down to the sumps. From the noise it was making I'd say the stream was flowing well!

Mark

I think he means here Rob

Most of the rocks and muck in this area were shifted by John and me without very much success

It was always thought that the tube on the opposite side of the streamway from this passage might be a good dig

Attachments

• Merlins.JPG_thumb.png
    Merlins.JPG_thumb.png
    403.7 KB · Views: 465

Madness

Mark said:
I think he means here Rob

Most of the rocks and muck in this area were shifted by John and me without very much success

It was always thought that the tube on the opposite side of the streamway from this passage might be a good dig

That's exactly where I mean Mark.

AR

Did John mention it in the article he did for the BCRA Transactions on the Carlswark - Merlins system?

Rob

Mark said:
Very interesting. Do you mean on the East or West side Mark? West looks to have a couple passages heading into blank space...

Tommy

Eldon journal 1976 has plenty of info on the Merlin's and stoney digging efforts I think.

For those of us who weren't there! ;)

Mark

Rob said:
Mark said:
Very interesting. Do you mean on the East or West side Mark? West looks to have a couple passages heading into blank space...

No stacking space though, other than chuck it in the stream when its flowing

Attachments

• Merlins.JPG_thumb.png
    Merlins.JPG_thumb.png
    404.4 KB · Views: 418