Mandale Mine Aqueduct Level Access

Jenny P

The combi. lock on the Mandale Aqueduct level has been broken so it has had to be replaced by an ordinary padlock.  For information on how to obtain a key, email the DCA Access Officer at access-off [at] theDCA.org.uk.

This is a public safety issue because it is at the side of the Lathkill Dale footpath, which is very popular with families with children, so Natural England requires the level to be kept locked.  They are happy for cavers to have access and DCA organises this on their behalf. 

Jenny Potts,
DCA Hon. Sec.

Iain

Blimey. I'm right in thinking that the Usual incline level is still Derbyshire Key aren't I?

Iain

Just occurred to me that I might have a combination lock going spare Jenny. If you want it putting on with the original code setting (which I know), I could install it on Monday 22nd. Whoever put the normal padlock on could reclaim it.

Madness

Can anyone confirm that the Incline Level is still accessible with a Derbyshire Key or has that now been changed to a padlock?

Don't want a wasted journey.

Jenny P

The Incline Level should still be a Derbyshire key, but may be worth checking with the DCA Access Officer.

Mandale Aqueduct level gate system had to be changed to a lock because the Derbyshire key system was regularly being misused and the bolts left undone.  (See my posting on 20th. Jan.)  Someone then damaged the combination lock which we put on to replace the Derbyshire key system with the idea that all you had to do was ask the DCA Access Officer for the combination.  Reluctantly, we have had to revert to an ordinary padlock with a key, which you have to arrange to collect.

Best to check with the DCA Access Officer: access-off [at] theDCA.org.uk  for the current situation here.

Jenny Potts,
Acting DCA Secretary