Caving in the Manifold Valley

MC

Any Cavers out there got an interest in Exploration and Conservation in this fine but often ignored area ?

I have a good knowledge of the Cave systems and associated Hydrology and am keen to get a couple of projects up and running this summer,

Please get in touch if you fancy getting involved.

mch

Have you contacted any members of the now-defunct Darfar Pothole Club who were active in the area for many years?

martinb

I had a good mooch around the Manifold Valley a couple of years ago. I agree that there is a good deal of potential still to be explored.

One thing was that no-one (to my knowledge) has checked out the sink at SK 10451 56656 - it's on NT land, but it takes a good stream during wet weather, and can be heard tumbling away underground. Its at the head of the dry valley that ends close to Darfar Pot.

Can't help with the caving as I now live in Normandy, France!  :LOL:

MC

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Not much has escaped my attention in that locality and one starlit night 20yrs or more ago I witnessed (!) Tracked technology at this very location which took the surrounding area down to -2m, before grinding to a halt on bedrock, the curse of the narrow joint struck again ! I don't recall the sink being dye tested, but I'd assume it joins the main Manifold flow underground shortly after Darfar pot.

MC

martinb

Just outside of the Manifold catchment, there is a sizeable sink here: SK 12818 48037, which isn't on the COPD online registry - I have given them the details though. When I visited about 2 years ago, it took a sizeable stream just upstream from the large, body sized slot, which was fill of flood debris. I reckon it feeds Ellishill Brook Risings.

Given the size of the aforementioned slot, it could be worth a prod.

MC

Thanks for the heads up, were getting into unknown territory for me here !

I've seen various sinks and resurgences around the Weaver Hills, Calton Moor etc, but I've not heard of this one. There must be someone out there in the Caving fraternity that has given it a prod ?