Films from IntroAct

Brains

The latest film from IntroAct.

“SRT – Getting Started.”

A film for cavers of all ability.

As reviewed in Descent 191;
“I suspect there are a good few competent cavers who would nevertheless benefit from taking in the film as a refresher course.”

£10.95.

(All profits to Cave Rescue)

Ring Ralph Johnson 01782 51575
or e mail RJohnCave&aol.com.

Also available from Hitch n Hike, Caving Supplies, Inglesport.

Other Titles available from IntroAct:

P8 (Jack Pot) – a typical club trip. 25 minutes. Possibly the most popular trip in The Peak District! In the video we join a local caving club as they explore the system with a team consisting of experts and beginners. (£12.95) VHS

The Hillocks-Whalf-Knotlow Complex.45 minutes. In this video we join a local caving club as they visit this complex system situated to the north of Monyash. It will be of interest to cavers, mines historians and local residents. There is one exciting moment when the group encounter “bad air” and have to make a rapid exit! (£12.95) VHS

Peak Cavern. (The Devil's Arse) 48 minutes. The film explores the “Peak” end of The Peak-Speedwell system with visits to The Trenches and Moss Chamber. It follows a “typical” club trip as they journey through passages ranging in size from the tight Twin Eyeholes to the lofty Upper Gallery. (£12.95) VHS

Speedwell Cavern. 46 minutes. The Peak-Speedwell system is the longest cave system in The Peak District. This video explores the less familiar “Speedwell” end of the system. It follows a team as they journey through passages some of them known to t'owd mon, some of them discovered in recent times.(£12.95) VHS

Sidetrack Cave. 20 minutes, This cave was “rediscovered” in 2002. Its splendid formations are protected to some extent by a tight entrance crawl that denies access to our larger brethren! This video provides the opportunity to view the formations in (almost) pristine condition. (£7.95) VHS

“Shout”. 26 minutes. A video that begins with a brief history of cave rescue in Derbyshire before progressing to a “typical shout”. More than 50 local cavers appear on the film, albeit briefly in some cases. It is dedicated to DCRO, a group of volunteers who over a period of over 50 years have come to the assistance of 350 people and 45 animals, not to mention many other “incidents” VHS (Also available on DVD). (£7.95)

Mow Cop-tunnels and tramways. 25 minutes. In 1993 local enthusiasts reopened the long forgotten remains of an old tunnel that, with an associated tramway, led from the coalmines in Staffordshire to the canal in Cheshire. In addition to exploring the tunnel the video includes interviews with local people with knowledge handed down from one generation to the next.  (£9.95) VHS

Astbury Hydraulic Lime Company. 38 minutes. This video tells he story of a two-year search for a series of tunnels the excavation of which began several hundred years ago. This will be of particular interest to local residents and to mine historians.
(£9.95) VHS

Giants Hole. 41 minutes. This film shows a typical trip to this exciting Derbyshire system using modern caving techniques with frequent reference to days gone by when conditions and equipment were less reliable! (VHS £12.95- dvd £13.95)

damian

Brains said:
(All profits to Cave Rescue)

I had been thinking about posting something about this. What a fantastically generous offer - a serious amount of time put into creating a DVD and it's basically for free - assuming you normally donate to Cave Rescue anyway. You can even nominate the Rescue Group the money should go to.

I bought a copy when it was reviewed in Descent. The DVD itself is excellent for beginners. It's tempting to compare it to Andy Sparrow's videos (which are now all on one DVD too by the way) but I'm not going to as Ralph Johnson's is non-profit making and, therefore, a little different.

Get one now. If you've been doing SRT for years, you might not learn anything, but it's for a good cause and is well produced by a man who, I believe, works very hard for caving.