Otter box or Aquapac for my PDA

footleg

I've been using an Aquapak case for a couple of years with a PDA. Now drawing on the PDA too with no problems. I stick the whole thing (PDA in case) in a plastic tub with the DistoX and other bits and bobs to transport in the cave. The PDA does not slide around in the case because you can grip it in the case. And you can press the power button on the top of the PDA through the case too. I've not tried a hard case, but imagine some of this might not work so well with a hard case?

ianball11

If you can wait a few days Imight have one for sale, used but useable.

Without it to hand I cant say dimensions or anything but it was bought to hold a Pocket LooX 700 series pda from Fujitsu.

Ian B.

ianball11

It's an Otter Box 1900 series in Grey and Yellow with no add ons.

It's not new, there is a hole in the plastic flexible screen section where the power button is on our unit.  It seems to be in solid condition.

What's your address? I'll post it out to you.

Ian B.

DaveR

I have the Otterbox and generally it seems pretty good. I do find it slightly difficult to draw accurately though the screen cover. Strangely I find the stylus holder fine! I do find the rubber o-ring which retains the screen can come adrift. I recently had a leak coming through a sump. This is well beyond 'normal' use I accept. The box was in an Ortleib bag and went to a couple of metres depth, so no great pressure. The drybag leaked and when I surfaced the Otterbox screen had come adrift allowng water in. Guess they are good for 'dry' caving use (ie wet but not submerged) and are better than a plastic bag! I like the hand strap as it allows you to rotate the box onto the back of your hand to allow climbing etc. I have made a rigid plastic square which sits in the screen recess to protect it and stop you drawing lines or turning on the PDA whilst in a bag.
Hope this helps.
Dave

SamT

Hi Dave - cheers for that  (y).

Ian - cheers for the offer - but reckon I'm gonna go for an Otterbox 2600 (I guess I dont want one with a hole in at the end of the day  :confused:)

If we can get 5 of us that want one - we can get a discount - I know of two so far, so need three more peeps...
anyone.... anyone.... Bueller......Bueller

DaveR

Sam; having looked at the 1900 specs I'm considering getting one. They have a flip up cover over the membrane and are depth rated to 1 metre for 30 minutes. They are more expensive than the 2600, but after buying the Disto, X board, PDA etc it's a pretty small premium. I have doubts about the way the 2600 screen is retained. I think Expansys (Otterbox distributors) have their office near my work, so I'll ring them and see if they have one I can look at before buying. Will post any info I come up with. If you like you can have a play / borrow my 2600 if you want to try before you buy. It may be that the 2600 is fine for dry caving applications and the 1900 is better suited to very 'wet' caving.
Cheers,
Dave

SamT

Interesting that Ians has ended up with a hole in the membrane where the on off button is on the PDA. My pda (when it arrives) will have a button on the front too, Hmmm  :confused:

Might be up for that Dave, let us know if you manage to see a 1900. (guess I'll have to check if it fits my pda).

Jams

just got back from matienzo having used otterbox 2600 and like it. takes a good battering and had it -0.5m surveying a low stream. membrane doesnt appear to be to trashed either.

Jams

with the disto only being ip54 rated does the pda case need to be any more than that? for me the 2600 is more than up to the job and cheap too.

DaveR

Good point, however...
Some are using the DistoX in an aquapac, making it "waterproof". I don't, but do have a Peli 1030 case which fits the unit nicely. You can't operate it in the case, but for wet transport it is bombproof. I'm considering butchering it to include a waterproof push button or flexible membrane in the right place to push the 'go' button on the DistoX.
Using the Otterbox 2600 for the PDA which is fine for use in muddy and damp conditions and the DistoX 'unsheathed' is logical, but sometimes I want to get them both through a sump, in which case the whole lot goes in a Peli 1200 case. Belt and braces, but VERY expensive to flood and kill! I guess taking the gear through sumps is beyond what many will want, but surveying solo beyond a sump is a joy with the DistoX compared to trying to survey on your own traditionally. Mind you, no excuses for the 'elastic tape measure' so beloved of divers past now... :eek:
I only considered the Otter 1900 over the 2600 because my 2600 screen came off in a drybag which leaked and flooded the PDA. I want to check out the 1900 design before I upgrade, as the screen might be retained in the same way, in which case there's no advantage.
Cheers,
Dave
PS, if anyone wants to design an underwater Distox type device, I'll buy one. There has been one already, the Wakulla Fat Boy scooters in the US, but they are huge, weigh a ton and cost millions of dollars (literally), and not much use unless you go from car to sump in 3 paces!
http://www.usdct.org/wakulla2-technology.php
8)

Jams

I transport the disto and pda in a small darren drum, swam a few hundred metres with it no problems. Just got to keep the mating surfaces clean and its all good.