Vote of Confidence in Bear Grylls

Trying to ascertain whether people have faith in this TV presenter. Do you think he is a good role m

• Yes, he's brilliant and can do no wrong.

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • He is a good role model for young people.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • He is a cockwomble.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • He is a bad role model and people are likely to get hurt by following his example.

Votes: 60 53.6%
  • Actually, he really is the cock of all cockdom. And rich, dammit.

Votes: 19 17.0%

• Total voters

PaulW

You only have to watch any episode from the current series to see dangerous and unsafe outdoor activities, its not just the caving

ZombieCake

The pseudo documentary style of the Yorkshire episode, e.g. the Malham Cove flora bit, could lead people to interpret his activities as suitable methods for outdoor explanation.  This could lead to very unfortunate outcomes, given viewers are in the hundreds of thousands and those that know better number in the thousands.  Whatever happened to Ray Mears?  His programmes are being repeated on the Travel Channel and are much better IMHO.

badger

its just not that bear gryls is a bad role model and a maverick, but one also has to ask who is advising him. who are the experts.

Madness

He's a man who obviously has issues. He seems to be trying to prove to the world that he's some sort of macho hero, a real man - 'Look at me, I do really dangerous stuff'.

He's a knob. Albeit a one who markets himself very successfully.

Sad really, as I suspect he craves the respect that he is unlikely to get.

al

It's not really about Bear Grylls; he's simply one public-facing symptom of the problem. Like him or loath him, either way it's exactly what our entertainment industry wants, as liking and loathing both generate viewing figures.

Cheap entertainment is the name of the game. Content, veracity, ethics, morality - these things don't matter, just so long as whatever gets screened gets plenty of viewers.

I agree with everything that CRO say in their letter criticising the program - but I can't help but think that just publishing the letter gives the show publicity it shouldn't deserve.

Sad world, isn't it?  :thumbsdown:

Chocolate fireguard

Back in the days when the foolish and their offspring were not protected from the consequences of their mistakes the brainpower of the human race gradually increased.

Could Bear Grylls be Nature's way of showing that natural selection can still work?

Simon Wilson

Chocolate fireguard said:
Back in the days when the foolish and their offspring were not protected from the consequences of their mistakes the brainpower of the human race gradually increased.

Could Bear Grylls be Nature's way of showing that natural selection can still work?

That brings to mind Steve Irwin. For those who aren't aware, Steve Irwin made a living out of provoking dangerous animals in front of the camera and was eventually killed by one of them. I should add that he also did a lot for animal conservation.

pwhole

The thing is, I don't see why 'normal' caving, i.e. caving with safety features built-in, instead of showing off recklessly with no safety, is any less exciting as a TV product? Surely the mere wearing of a helmet doesn't ruin the 'viewer experience'? That other posh bloke off Springwatch is always prussicking and abseiling about (as does Prof. Ian Stewart, dropping into active volcanoes, etc. etc.), and they both wear helmets and even have a safety line and an ASAP! That's got to hurt the purists. No Shunts even. Though they are on the BBC, who have enough money to buy backup kit and two ropes. But it shouldn't (and I doubt it does) put kids off wanting to do these activities for fun - especially the volcanoes.

Showing people how to do things safely isn't cissy, it's just sensible. By not getting seriously injured, they will gain confidence and push themselves further, learning to tolerate minor injuries as part of the game, as we all have. A fractured skull (or a dead friend) is probably a very good way of putting people off caving for good.

wormster

Grylls is a COCK, no m0ar, no less!

Hopefully one day he'll collect his Darwin award then we won't have to worry....... :LOL:

badger

I think it is accepted that Bear gryls is a cock, maverick, bad role model.
in the caving world, and us who are not only cavers but scouts know this, the subject is now getting very tedious time to move on, well that is until he does something else stupid, me I take the option of not watching.

richardg

I would perhaps consider Mossdale Caverns to to be the most dangerous cave in the Yorkshire Dales....

However an extremely knowledgeable  veteran caving friend told me it was Long Churn Cave.

This cave is frequently visited by large groups, often complete beginners,Maybe it is the most popular of the caves in the region.......

It is also a ferocious flooder, indeed it is sadly already established that in such conditions it is a killer

Of all the caves it is here that multiple casualties is the most likely

So who the F--k was the professional caver/ safely adviser who suggested this cave and  oversaw a trip into there in these purported conditions?

It has been asked on this thread by at least two other people who was the adviser that the program producers took their advise from..

It is interesting to note the number of cave instructors on this forum enthusiastically telling the world what a dickhead or whatever Bear is and by doing so encouraging the rest of us to consider how great and safety conscious they are.... but in reality it is they who should (for the time being at least) lower their heads in shame...... because the program" safety adviser" may yet turn out to be one from their own ranks........

as an occasional professional caver myself and having experience on working with television,I for one would not be casting stones.......

Richard

cap n chris

richardg said:
It is interesting to note the number of cave instructors on this forum enthusiastically telling the world what a dickhead or whatever Bear is and by doing so encouraging the rest of us to consider how great and safety conscious they are.... but in reality it is they who should (for the time being at least) lower their heads in shame...... because the program" safety adviser" may yet turn out to be one from their own ranks........

How do you make that figure? Seems harsh and actually rather an unpleasant inference frankly.

According to your logic does this mean members of the Institute of Advanced Motorists should "lower their collective heads in shame" pre-emptively on the grounds that perhaps one of their subscribers got caught speeding? If so it seems weird, to put it mildly. Barking.