Mountain Biking Underground

G

grim

Anybody got any suggestions for a "suitable" venue without masses of porterage, a mine perhaps? Idealy to be found in Dales/Peak area but will travel for an eminently suitable venue. Ta very much...

damian

I don't quite know what to say to this ... erm, you are joking, aren't you?

If not, please reconsider even THINKING about it. There are serious issues here both for the mine/cave itself and also for your own safety.

graham

1146216343KB3skL.jpg

Here

damian

Oops. Perhaps I've over-reacted.  :cautious:

If you avoid caves / mines and go for an abandoned railway tunnel or something, I guess that could be an excellent venue. Suggestions anyone?

W

wormster

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

for those with a deathwish BOX railway tunnell.

just watch out for the 8.15 to Bristol Temple Meads.

:chair: :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair:

dunc

How about GG, abseil down with it strapped to your back and then do a few circuits of the main chamber.. :unsure:

A few years ago someone did an awesome AV entitled Swildons to Wookey on a bike! It was effing brilliant. Would love to see that again.

Dan.

AndyF

IIRC The County Level in cornwall has been used for mountain biking..... it is miles long and very big....

D

darkplaces

Would love to ride a bike round spring or tunnel quarry :cautious:

dunc

Please don't forget to write to Ingleborough Estate Office for a permit.
Good point.. And on that - don't be thinking you could ride up there as its a footpath and not a bridleway.

G

grim

Absolutely serious!
Done the abandoned railway tunnels,thought about GG but thinking more in terms of passage. Red Bull sponsored a downhill event afew years ago down a mine in Germany,that and the adventure of "it" got my thoughts rambling.
I used to cave back in the late 70's,early 80's to a reasonable standard but cannot think of anything in this country that would suit and be reasonably accessible with a bike.I can remember plenty of passage that I would have a go at,but none of it involves reasonable access, hence the posting!

W

wormster

dunc said:
Please don't forget to write to Ingleborough Estate Office for a permit.
Good point.. And on that - don't be thinking you could ride up there as its a footpath and not a bridleway.

ERM a bridleway doesn't entitle you to ride wheels down it you're supposed to have lots of legs (ie 4)

Rob

A certain SUSS member brought up the same question a few years back. Never got round to it but we all decided Great Douk would work pretty well in sections, but only for something like filming where you can ride past the camera and then STOP! Certainatly no long stetches but would be great fun anyway i reckon!

W

wormster

why not use your mountainbike as a bloody big rack and go down TITAN

G

grim

I caught a glimpse of Titan on the telly the other day which ressurected the idea.
If you can arrange it...
Underground: seen a trailer for Flow and yes, more fuel for the fire!
Please guys,don't let this degenerate into a bridleway/footpath issue,I would go to a MTB forum for that!
Strictly Ballroom

Duncan

Pictures of some Russians biking underground.  I've seen a video of this in which the rider seems to spend half his time getting his balls pummelled by various parts of the bike as he falls off.  The fact that he had a film light shining at him and could probably see f/a almost certainly wouldn't have helped.

All in all, I think there are probably better places to ride bikes than in caves, and less destructive things to do in caves than ride bikes.