Caves used in films & TV

I am passing on an enquiry from Bruce Munro, (Researcher - Radio Features , mailto:bruce.munro@bbc.co.uk) who is asking for information about caves that have been used as locations for filming for cinema or TV.  He's not after info about documentaries on caves, but specifically on the caves used in film/TV dramas.  I guess that these days, its mostly mockups or digital trickery.  Bruce is reading this BB but cannot post just yet as he's in the process of registering.

graham

I think the recent Daziel & Pascoe used Clearwell, the cave rescue bit in Casualty used Goatchurch, at least in part. Various things have been made in the Redcliffe caves, Axbridge Caver probably has a full list. Dr Who once used Wookey Hole.

Doubtless Andy Sparrow has some input he can make to this thread ...

mrodoc

I used the wet entrance to Read's Cavern for a History Fix programme.  Gough's was used for an episode of casualty.

SamT

Peak Cavern was used in the The Chronicles of Narnia hence the 'Slide' that was erected at the steps. (Visualise a metal slide akin to a childs playground one but that snakes down the slope. I think some kids/actors had to sit on a little trolly and roll down it. Its great fun and a really quite swift descent if you do it in a muddy/slimey wet pvc suit.

fi

Wookey Hole has been used for many, many films.  One of the CDG members featured in a Arthurian type thing a couple of years ago - lying flat on her back in the water in chamber 1 holding excaliber.  Others have done safety work (to stop actors drowning themselves in a puddle).

Think Goatchurch has been used once or twice...

Ship-badger

In addition to the recent Dalziel & Pascoe, Clearwell Caves (Iron Mines) have also been used for Dr Who and a horror film that was made for the US video market. I suppose production companies particularly like it because you can drive right up to the entrance.

Rob

Didn't they film a Casualty episode in Stoney Middleton somewhere, maybe Carlswalk, using big polystyrene boulders and the like.

W

Walrus

Thor's Cave (near Ashbourne) was used for the 1998 film 'The Lair of the White Worm'

Redcliffe Caves Bristol - Robin of Sherwood Forest, Casualty, Most Haunted (Live), Eddie Shoestring, Spirt of the Jaguar, Aquilla and The Famous Five.

This is just a list from the "top of my head" I have a printed list somewhere in my archive - if you need more information just ask.

Peter Burgess

Barons Cave and the Tunnel Road Caves in Reigate for various productions over the past 15 years. No details to hand unfortunately. Mains power and road access to the entrance make the Tunnel Road caves ideal.

martinr

League of Gentlemen Series 1 Episode 5- Treak Cliff Caverns (Stump Hole Caverns)

‘OLDER THAN THE DINOSAURS – STUMP HOLE CAVERNS – ROYSTON VASEY’S FINEST SHOWCASE’.

Not a lot of people know that Stump Hole Cavern takes it’s name from the crippled prostitute who plied her trade here in the 17th century. If you look carefully up there, you can still see her tariff etched into the limestone in soot....

http://www.lunacynet.com/league/char_misc.html#mick

graham

martinr said:
League of Gentlemen Series 1 Episode 5- Treak Cliff Caverns (Stump Hole Caverns)

‘OLDER THAN THE DINOSAURS – STUMP HOLE CAVERNS – ROYSTON VASEY’S FINEST SHOWCASE’.

Not a lot of people know that Stump Hole Cavern takes it’s name from the crippled prostitute who plied her trade here in the 17th century. If you look carefully up there, you can still see her tariff etched into the limestone in soot....

Brilliant, Quite, quite brilliant.

Elaine

It was good wasn't it! However, I would like to point out that Stump Hole Cavern was actually only Royston Vasey's second finest showcave.
Or at least I am sure that is what it said on the notice.

cap n chris

graham said:
martinr said:

Brilliant, Quite, quite brilliant.

Starts at 2:04 onwards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExXmeXy60gA&mode=related&search=

Mark

Rob said:
Didn't they film a Casualty episode in Stoney Middleton somewhere, maybe Carlswalk, using big polystyrene boulders and the like.

It was an episode of Peak Practice filmed in Hanging Flat Mine at Stoney Middleton, Bagshawe cavern and an unnamed? mine at the top of Deepdale near Chelmorton

kay

On Hollyoaks they disappeared under water into Dr Bannister's handbasin in Upper Long Churn and emerged spluttering from 'Hell's Mouth', more usually known as the wet entrance to Borrins Moor. Quite an achievement  ;)

Why does he want to know, anyway?

martinr

Anne said:
It was good wasn't it! However, I would like to point out that Stump Hole Cavern was actually only Royston Vasey's second finest showcave.
Or at least I am sure that is what it said on the notice.

Just found the transcript:

We are of course part of a much wider network of caves that riddle the entire county, including the much larger Redscar Cavern located half a mile to the west. A trifle flashy for my taste I have to say, with their gift shop, granary style cafeteria, and one hundred percent safety record