Mine Rescue Tragedy

Elaine

It is unbelievable.

Lots of words come to me. But I don't expect this is the time to say them.

How sad and tragic.

dunc

And yet there are those that still believe that Health and Safety madness hasn't infected our country?

Whoever created the memo should be held responsible for her death and charged accordingly.

graham

Ask sensible questions instead of just ranting - why did it take six hours for the mountain rescue guys to arrive?

If that is a mis-reading of the report, then exactly how far behind the fire brigade bods were they?

Were they called out as soon as it was known that a mine shaft was the scene?

If not, why not?

Commers

As ever, you need to read around, and not just rely on a single source to get a more wholesome account of the event. According to this article in The Evening Times:

The officer said the rescue was delayed because of the risk of the shaft collapsing further and Ms Hume?s injuries were not considered life-threatening.

graham

Commers said:
As ever, you need to read around, and not just rely on a single source to get a more wholesome account of the event. According to this article in The Evening Times:

The officer said the rescue was delayed because of the risk of the shaft collapsing further and Ms Hume?s injuries were not considered life-threatening.

Thanks, I had a strange feeling that the initial responses above were somewhat wide of the mark.

dunc

And I reckon both reports are wide of the mark - nobody knows the full story apart from those present so everyone should refrain from asking pointless questions or ranting until such time as the full facts are available.

Peter Burgess

Hatstand

On the railway when there is an accident/incident there is the obvious flurry of speculation and guesswork, as has been grumbled about above. However, if you are patient, the RAIB publish their investigations online once they are completed, and one can read up what actually happened. The reports are usually pretty comprehensive.

Is there such a resource for incidents such as being discussed in this thread?

Bob Mehew

The story is coming out in front of a Fatal Accident Inquiry (the Scottish equivalent of a Coroner's Court for fatal accidents) which is lead by the Scottish equivalent of the Crown Prosecution Service - the Procurator Fiscal, and overseen by the Scottish equivalent of a judge - the Sheriff.    In my past experience they are exhaustive and thorough; though clearly that can't be said of those who report on them.  A written judgement is issued (see http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/opinionsApp/sheriff.asp?txt=False for the starting point of a search) but they do not produce a full scale report such as I think Hatstand was looking for.  That would require some one to pay for a transcript of the court proceedings - a costly business.

But to add to speculation, I await to see if SCRO or the Scottish mines rescue organisation are mentioned.  I would also like to hear the autopsy report on what were her injuries.  But all ways round a tragedy since why was the shaft unguarded?

Peter Burgess

When the incident happened, there was a debate on AditNow as to whether it was a shaft or a crownhole. As the latter often have very unstable sides, this might be an important factor. The press, of course, would call any hole in the ground a mine shaft, even if it was the result of the collapse of shallow workings.

Peter Burgess

It's where a collapse migrates to the surface leaving a deep (or shallow) pit depending on the circumstances. A hole between 40 and 60ft deep (depending on which report you believe) is more likely to be a shaft, on reflection, as any collapsing cavity causing a hole that deep would be pretty huge.