Caves at Symond's Yat

bubba

Administrator
I grew up in Hereford, and we used to go climbing at Symonds Yat a lot. Because we didn't have transport, we'd sleep in the caves at the base of the crag. They inevitably got explored by torchlight late at night ;)

Just wondering if any of those caves actually amounted to much - I can remember going a reasonable way into some of them. Also, there was some horrendous loose shaft held up by scaffolding that me and a mate went down, before we crapped ourselves and got out of there. It was a bit south of the Symonds Yat and away from the crags.

Ship-badger

Bubba
None of the caves at Symonds-Yat are very extensive, though within a mile there are a couple of very promising digs. One of these went a few years ago to produce Big-Sink cave (1 km plus).
The horrendous scaffolded shaft you remenber is Symonds-Yat Swallett. Nobody has been down for many years. The padlock on the grill on to is rusted solid, and the entrance shaft is completely chocked with branches and rubble. Various people have talked of re-opening it over the past couple of years, but nobody has got round to it yet.
The large entrances at the foot of the cliffs that you used to sleep in still get used for this purpose. Unfortunately the arseholes who do this nowadays think it is ok to leave behind all of their rubbish (and shit). I use these cliffs with groups, and regularly clean up, but within weeks its as bad again. Sad.
Several of the small caves are very popular with outdoor centres, especially because they are close to the cliffs (climbing and abseiling) and the river (canoeing). I know the area intimately!

bubba

Administrator
Thanks :) Always wondered about it - used to see quite a lot of bats in those caves, and also there were some very ....ummm... alternative mud sculptures in one of them :LOL:

Shame about the rubbish in the entrances though :(

rhychydwr1

This is a descrition with survey of the Symonds Yat caves in:

THE CAVES OF THE FOREST OF DEAN by Tony Oldham, Keith Jones and Paul Taylor [published as] Part 11 in the Series "Limestones and Caves of South Wales" 2005 x + 55 pp 23 maps / surveys. Includes such classics as Redhouse Swallet and Slaughter Stream Caves etc and the latest discoveries, Big Sink Cave, Miss Grace's Lane Cave etc. . SB £8.50 post free, from

tonyfoldham@hotmail.com

H

hoehlenforscher

Ahh the mud sculptures! Remember them well and indeed added to them at one point IIRC

The best cave to sleep in was the one right at the end approached along a narrow ledge and was the scene of one of those things that really defy the laws of probability. One time me and some mates from uni popped down to the Yat for a bit of climbing and got there quite late (after the pubs closed) and made our way to the cave. On arriving found it already ocupied by 2 souls. "Bugger", I swore someone beat us too it. At which point a voice came from the sleeping bag "Oy Morgan is that you?"......

It was my best mate and neighbour from home, who was in another college and had had exactly the same idea as me for the weekend....

twiglet

Hi ship bodger, looks like 24/08/08 could be when a few ACG could come over for a look at the Yat caves, that date any good for you lot ?

Ship-badger

I shall pass the message to our Club members, but I shall be in the Vercors. Have a good time. If you fancy a really good, hard trip, why not do Cross-Joints Swallet; only a mile from Symonds Yat. Its the hardest trip in the Forest.

woollydigger

Love to do cross-joints but i will be in the vercors like you  or i would of  i think coldwell swallet is but no who been down wolaston hate it