Entrance series collapse Slaughter Stream Cave

Last night we tried to visit Slaughter Stream Cave and had a rather short trip.

A collapse has blocked the entrance series just before the first of the two pitches in the entrance series. The collapse can be found just after the last of the fixed ladders in the entrance series, where the way on turns left into a short crawl under some scaffolding. The scaffolding is still in place but a whole lot of soil and rubble has poured past the boards in the roof. The passage is blocked for about 6 feet (you can see along the side of the original passage).

We were warned to be careful crawling past the scaffolding because a lot of water had flowed down the passage recently, but the scaffolding itself is still in place.

I was puzzled to see soil in a cave and so far from the surface.

We returned the key to Andy Clark's house, but we did not see him (and did not have a pen), and so we have not reported the collapse to him. I will try and speak with him this evening.

Dave

Christian_Chourot

Does anyone have any recommendations for places to go instead? We had planned to go to Slaughter Stream this weekend and now don't have time to sort out anything else which needs a leader/key (unless any are reading this and are feeling benevolent!) Obviously we can go towards the Clydach gorge/Llangattock if need be.

Where would people recommend? I've never been to any caves in the forest, a trip to Daren might be on the cards instead as we were all hoping to do longish trips but it would be nice to go somewhere new.

rhychydwr1

Christian_Chourot said:
Does anyone have any recommendations for places to go instead? We had planned to go to Slaughter Stream this weekend and now don't have time to sort out anything else which needs a leader/key (unless any are reading this and are feeling benevolent!) Obviously we can go towards the Clydach gorge if need be.

Where would people recommend? I've never been to any caves in the forest, a trip to Daren might be on the cards instead as we were all hoping to do longish trips but it would be nice to go somewhere new.

Symonds Yat - 33 caves - might take longer than a day to do them all.  No key needed.

Ship-badger

Dave. Thanks for the info about the Slaughter collapse; it was on our list of things that needed attending to, now it is top of the list. when access is restored you will be the first to know.

Christian. Miss Graces Lane as already suggested (key from Jan Karvik in Chepstow), but there will be a cave rescue practice there on Sunday. This might be an advantage for you as the cave will be open anyway, and you won't interfere with the practice as it's only on the entrance pitches. Big Sink (key from Dave Tuffley, FoDCCAG). Redhouse Swallett, though not if its wet (key from Dave Tuffley). Symonds-Yat, as suggested; lots of caves, some a little tight.