Beginner's caves in Derbyshire

underground

Can anyone recommend any good beginner's trips? I know there's Carlswark and Bagshawe, but I want to take some people somewhere a bit different. They don't fancy getting too wet though, and are non - SRTers so short ladders at the most are what I'm looking for.

bubba

Administrator
Winnats Head and Long Rake sound ideal - only joking....

Peak Cavern would be perfect, but it's not exactly straightforward access.

P8 when the stream is low could be done on 2 ladders....and what about Gautries?

N

NB

A number of sites are good in Derbyshire but should you be taking novices down them if you don't know them yourself?! A good example of this is the rescue from Titan recently when one person was taken their on their first ever caving trip!!!

Stu

was that the rescue last week? a case of leaders aspirations clouding beginners needs no doubt.

as for trips... giants upper levels and you can ab down the short drop into streamway fo a bit of spice. merlins...easy to find routes, one 10m ladder descent...bit loose and if you go into gimlis there is a puddle and i suppose the squeeze could be off putting but its ok. gautries is better than its reputation suggests...though can be wet. suicide...keep doing loops and a beginner may not know theyve been going round in circles for an hour!

underground

NB said:
A number of sites are good in Derbyshire but should you be taking novices down them if you don't know them yourself?! A good example of this is the rescue from Titan recently when one person was taken their on their first ever caving trip!!!

Don't worry, just stimulating a bit of discussion! :roll: Still, it doesn't hurt to play it safe, I'm sure there are plenty of muppets out there...

T

Titch98

A nice little mine/ cave system I use for first trip novices is the Wapping Mine & Cumberland Cavern system at Matlock Bath. The system is quite dry (very few wet patches) and no special equipment is required. It is one of those systems where you do need to go down and get to know it with someone who does know it. It is a real labyrinth once you get down the bottom of the main mine workings.

Only disapointment on this trip is the vandalism to Cumberland Cavern system (old show caverns).

For those not been there, Cumberland Cavern entrance is sealed and you must enter through the Wapping Mine end (south west from the New Bath Hotel). If you want a visit sometime, or decent directions to entrance, drop me a line.