Mam Tor Swallet

Cave_Troll

I'm not sure that anyone bothers to visit Mam Tor Swallet very often.
Tried to get down, but found some of the roof arch had collapsed and the resulting pile of choss had filled the entrance.
Two sessions of digging down an unstable rubble slope failed to break into anything other than rubble filled unstable choke.

Cave_Troll

And another thing. the slightest touch of the roof causes anther couple of kilos of choss to fall to the floor and then roll down the entrance.
IF anything ever gets done with this cave it will involve vertical piles to hold back the choss while you dig beyond.
all in all it's probably not worth the effort

AndyF

I have an old survey of it somewhere, but I've never visited it.

It's a significant swallet and may repay work. I dont know if its ever been dye tested anywhere....

SamT

is it that thing just to the left of the junction, by the hairpin above Blue John Cavern

Pitlamp

For a description and elevation of this cave checkout Dave Elliott's (excellent) 1976 "Caves Of Northern Derbyshire" Part 4 - Rushup Edge Swallets pages 27 - 27, plus small photo of entrance inside back cover. He says that the small stream is believed to reappear in Blue John Cavern but as far as he knows it has never been tested. He also gives some further references.

I wonder if that Eldon Journal with Bill Whitehouse's superb drawing of the Blue John survey has any information about the hydrology? (Can't find my own copy to check it out.)

Cave_Troll

i'd be very interested to see a copy of that photo, to compare it to what it is now. ie how much has fallen in.
Is there are way you can scan it , or take a digital photo of the photo?

maybe I should go back and do some more work then.

i'd suggest to Bridget that she does some dye testing from here , but there's no water at the moment to test :)

Pitlamp

My apologies CT but I'm afraid I don't have a scanner or decent camera. Surely any decent caving club library will have a copy of this? I'm pretty sure there should be one in the TSG library for example. You could contact BCRA Librarian Roy Paulson, who is very helpful. It was on sale at Caving Supplies in Buxton several years ago - maybe Phil Brown still has a few copies? If all else fails contact me if you're likely to be in the Dales and maybe I can show you this copy here (along with the other 4 in the series, all of which are very useful). Best of luck with the dig.

SamT

I think 'riders' on this forum has a copy of the Dave Elliot booklet. Ive got his trek cliff hill & oxlow/maskill/nettle ones. Jolly interesiting bits of writing.

Mrs Trellis

When I were a lad it was always full of dead sheep. I always was led to believe it goes to BJM - which is basically three inlets which meet in the big chamber at the end with a huge boulder choke in the floor. The "old" show cave which was bratticed off by PB in Jan 1990 (ish) has a small stream and this is probably it.

I don't know why I have suddenly remembered this but I recall a description of part of Odin mine now lost. It mentioned a location called "Brass Castles" and I seem to remember the miners intersected a natural stream somewhere roundabout there. Might be the water from said swallet...