Sunday night talk 10th September "Death or Glory!"

Andy Sparrow

The original scheduled topic for this talk has been changed.  We have what promises to be an incredible tale of adventure and exploration by local climber and mountaineer, Matt Helliker, complimented by stunning photography.

[size=10pt]DEATH OR GLORY!
A story of a major new route climbed alpine style in the remotest range of Peru.
Because style matters!
by Matt Helliker
[/size]

In the functions room of the Kings Head, Silver st, Cheddar on Sunday 10th September 8.00pm for 8.30pm start.
£2 per person admission fee.
Open to everyone, including non-members, but please let me know if you intend to come so that I have some idea of numbers as seating is limited.

cap n chris

I'll be there. Happy to stand at back with the hordes squeezed in. I've still not heard the whole story but IIRC it was a 1400m ice wall and didn't involve cutting rope (which was nice).

M

Melanie lloyd

Sounds great! You can count me in.

I can't wait to see all my old friends again and also look forward to meeting the new members. :clap:

Anyone doing any caving before the event?

M

Melanie lloyd

cap 'n chris said:
Mel, when you mention "new members" you're not talking about the middlish bits of men are you?

As if i would! All i'm saying is that there is something quite refreshing about meeting a new member.  ;)

F

Flasheart

I believe tonight is going to an interesting one. Bunfight at the OK CORAL! Admittance should be £20. My money is on the woman scorned. Really looking forward to it!!

M

Melanie lloyd

Flasheart said:
I believe tonight is going to an interesting one. Bunfight at the OK CORAL! Admittance should be £20. My money is on the woman scorned. Really looking forward to it!!

Oh come on guys ( and girls )

What happened between Andy and myself is private and in the past and I find this sort of immature remark extremely hurtful. When I come up tonight it is to be with my friends and caving colleagues. I have moved on and am looking to the future and my continued association with the club. This has been hard enough for all concerned, not least on poor Rachael, a new club member, who must be feeling extremely awkward and excluded from tonight's event and I think that she would find this remark difficult and rather embarrassing.

Besides which, you all know how much I enjoy food…Ask yourselves, would Mel throw a bun, or would she eat it?  (y)

Love Mel XX

cap n chris

Well said (written!), Mel. Perhaps Flasheart would still care to pay £20 - the club would appreciate it, I'm sure. See you soon!

F

Flasheart

I hear tonight is going to be an interesting one. Fireworks! infedelity! women scorned! children abadoned! You should raise the admission fee, look forward to it!! :beer:

cap n chris

Very good talk this evening - the pictures were stunning and the achievement seems legendary!

Les was a hero bringing along top-notch AV kit too!  (y)

sherpa

As a connoisseur of mountaineering talks, I thought Matt's event was excellent.  It was a good end to a very interesting break in the southwest. 

Ali

sherpa

Southwest:  shorthand for Somerset, Devon and Cornwall - counties wot I visited on my break (trip, holiday, vacation, sojourn whatever).  Er, what has the 'South East' got to do with anything Mr Whitelackington?  I'm not from thereabouts.  :chair:

Forgot to mention another highlight of my trip:  I went to the Centre of the Universe and uttered the words 'a pint of Butcombe please Roger.'  :beer: 

Ali
Tomset, Mercia

T

truescrumpy

ahhh that a good recommended pint of scrump is ol wilkins :bow: :bow: specially the good ol dry stuff