Any new discoveries

welshcaver96

Have been reading allot lately and want to learn as much as i can about the caves around the black mountain range i understand there is some massive evidence of a master system that lies under these beautiful mountains. I have visited a handful of caves in this area and i am coming to terms with the sheer scale of these caves just want as much info as i can.

Thanks

Well, there are four major resurgences - Llygad Llwchr, Ffrydiau Twrch, Ffrwd Las, Dan yr Ogof - so at least four big systems to go at...but no major discoveries reported recently.

Have you looked for sites, hydrology, and references in the Cambrian Cave Register yet?

welshcaver96

I have done lots of research on these major systems the main one being the llygad system however my knowledge is limited i would like to understand the hydrology allot more. I have been ridge walking along some of these areas but im having difficulty finding information on surveys of the caves if only i knew in which direction the caves travel maybe then we could piece together a rough above ground map to see what the best areas would be. Ive also studied the atomospheric pressure where the air inside a cave can warm and cool either blowing or sucking creating warm pockets of air either through many small above passage ways or straight out the lowest point depending on weather and pressure, Ive seen when it has snowed that there are allot of melted areas where the sun has not been but still the snow melts.

thanks

Leclused

welshcaver96 said:
Ive also studied the atomospheric pressure where the air inside a cave can warm and cool either blowing or sucking creating warm pockets of air either through many small above passage ways or straight out the lowest point depending on weather and pressure, Ive seen when it has snowed that there are allot of melted areas where the sun has not been but still the snow melts.

thanks

Blowholes in the snow are Always very interesting. On the PSM-Anialarra area (Spain/France) we (SC Avalon) did several winter expeditions to track these blowholes. Later on in the summer we then got back to see what is there. By doing this we found several new caves.

A trip report of such a winter expedition (in dutch) can be found here : http://scavalon.blogspot.be/2010/03/anialarra-winter-expe-2010.html

The following pic shows a blowhole in the winter. This blowhole was tackled last summer and we found a amazing pit. Also see the topic about Sima Regalo" (link below the pic)

regalo-winter.jpg

http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=20963.0

So go out in the winter pinpoint all the blowholes you can find plot them on a map. By plotting them you can already find some insights. Then go back when then snow has melted and tackle those blowholes