A genuinely useful uni project - flashbulbs

JB

It's almost ten years since I finished my economics degree and the sad reality is that my being at university made very little difference to mankind. Even as lecturers trotted out their well-rehearsed theories about free markets vs state intervention, we only had to pick up a newspaper to see that the political left around the world were being sidelined. One thing I did learn is that in a perfect market, demand will be matched by supply. So here I am unable to sleep at night because the world isn't in equilibrium because NOBODY'S MANUFACTURING FLASHBULBS ANYMORE!

If anyone's currently at university and doing a design/manufacturing related degree would they fancy taking on the task of designing and producing a small flashbulb for cave photographers? The current situation where they're only available secondhand is less than ideal. I know bugger all about flashbulbs but having seen them in action last weekend, I think this would be an interesting and massively useful project for someone with the right skills and talent. Yes, the market would be small but perhaps today's production techniques would make it economic to produce them.

I should add that I know nothing about manufacturing flashbulbs (and very little about cave photography). Perhaps someone with more knowledge could add some info.

If you need any persuasion check out this photo taken by Richard Tooley of the TSG last weekend using flashbulbs that he had to buy secondhand from America.

http://www.orionmountaineering.com/cpg144/thumbnails.php?album=115

How many more reasons do you need? You're pushing the world economy back towards equilibrium, doing your bit to help cave photographers capture some of the most stunning, precious and fragile landscapes on the planet AND might even make enough to pay for a few more bottles of White Lightning. The gauntlet has been thrown down caving yoof!

Andrew W

Can't say that I know a whole lot about flashbulbs myself but I think you're wrong about them not being manufactured anymore.

Have a look at www.meggaflash.com

They appear to still make flashbulbs and market them at cavers. Don't know anything more about their products though.

JB

JB said:
designing and producing a small flashbulb for cave photographers?

Hi Andrew,

Yes - I did see their website. I should have been more clear about size. Meggaflash offer bulbs of 60mm and 72mm diameter; pretty big. I'm talking about something lots smaller than that for more modest cave use.

Jules.

C

Cave Monkey

If I were going to tackle this project i would attempt to replicate 'M3' or 'Press 25' size flashbulbs, as these seem the most economic regarding size to light output.