abseiling

dunc

August 98, age 23, Bull Pot (Kingsdale), enjoyable day it was too - never looked back!
Don't know why I didn't do it sooner  :confused:

Bowles Rocks, I must have been about 15. On a safety line as well, kacked meself! Soon got over it though. The rest as they say is history........

Dan.

Brains

Early 1980's probably on the gritstone edges, without a harness or descender - the full on body ripping wrap your body style classic, then with a waist length and krab, and finally a fig8...

ditzy 24//7

the first time i did it was quiet simple as it was a tower thing and it was compleatly smooth all the way down but it was great fun. ;)

mak

First time for me was late 80's in the barn out back o' inglethief quick morning session with shiny kit before going off down sell gill

francis

Went with my dad when I was about 5-6ish. I think I got my first harness for my 5'th birthday. It was a green and orange full body harness and I loved it!

Francis

Elaine

Being older than Hughie, I first went abseiling in a roofless cave during a rock climbing and abseiling week in North Wales when I was 14. This was in the late 70's. We too had the body wrap type effort with none of this cushty 'stop' type rubbish! I did have a life line though which meant I had no fear and abseiled as fast as I could.

whitelackington

I.I.R.C. it was figure of 8 down,
ladder up, in Thrupe Lane Swallet
then Lacaster Hole, same rubbish system,
ie 110feet ab, spot of caving, 110feet ladder back up. :cautious:

Peter Burgess

You would think that anyone would remember something like this, but I don't. It might have been at High Rocks near Tunbridge Wells, or it might have been in the trees at Whernside Manor. Wherever it was, it was on a fig-8.

D

Dep

Late 1970's: As a teenager in the sea-cadets - classic method.
1981: In the Navy - classic method - and later on the sea cliffs at Newquay with a fig 8
No lifelines - very little explanation of what to do apart from to 'not let go!' The rest was fairly obvious!

Geoff R

My earliest abbing experience ?  Must have been Scouts age 11 off Walton on the Naze cliffs (1968 the year), but I recall, age 9 (1966), being given my first and only "old" rope ladder by my parents, bought for my birthday from an army surplus shop opposite colchester castle. I always rigged this myself. I used to regularly climb out of my upstairs bedroom window with my younger brother following, descending onto concrete path below. No lifelines, no parent supervision after first days play.  I tied it to a bed leg if I recall, using a round turn and two half hitches. Even rigged string and slip knot to auto release it from the ground, so I could then climb up. Kept me amused for about 2 years til we moved house. 

During play the ladder got into bad repair so my father taught me how to re-whip the wooden rungs top and bottom that were pusded thro the three strand main rope - worked fine but I did not have the strength to make them real tight, so they occasionally came undone, but it was climbed regardless.

That was all like 40 years ago !     
Parents take a different view now a days ...

gus horsley

Did my first abseil in 1960 at Woodhouse Scar in halifax.  it was only about 30ft but seemed miles and the weather was freezing.  I might have cried a little bit.

D

Dep

Geoff R said:
Parents take a different view now a days ...

They certainly do - my wife'd have a fit if she saw the kids climbing out of the upstairs window - I wouldn't be too happy about it either!

stealth

lancaster hole    scared the living daylights out of me. as i said in a previous thread this was my first experience of caving.  not done much srt since  dont have any kit of my own since getting spliced over 22 yrs ago

ladder back up    hard work for an unfit biker

i would do it again if i ever got the chance.would need to be retrained though