A parent's dilemma

Peter Burgess

Given that

(a) a recent study shows that using some essential oils might be promoting breast growth in some boys

and

(b) shampoo containing tea tree oil is believed by many to discourage head lice

What should the caring parent do?

Is it going to be nits or tits?

Discuss.

W

wormster

where's the impirical evedence to support your argument that tea tree oil encourages breast development in boys?

W

wormster

Peter Burgess said:
Given that

(a) a recent study shows that using some essential oils might be promoting breast growth in some boys

and

Discuss.

More information please about point a please

tea tree oil is a well known as an antiseptic.

It has many other medicinal uses, not only for humans but for discouraging fleas in canines and felines.

H

hoehlenforscher

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6318043.stm

try here for a start

W

wormster

Cheers for the link,

HHHHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM tricky.

1, There are many products to deal with headlice, not just tea tree oil based ones.

2, It seems that the condition is very rare.

3, More resarch / evedence is needed.

As a parent when dealing with nits we allways use a cheap condioner to trap them the comb them out.

D

Dep

Ive found tea-tree oil to be off limited use against head-lice
More valuable as a deterent after you have cleared the lice and suspect that one of their school-friends still has them.
combing tea-tree oil through the hair make it less attractive to the lice.

The only thing that was really effective was shaving the head - no problem for my son but a big issue for my daughter. We had to keep her hair in a really short bob for a few months until we won the war.

Also combing hair immediately on return from school - whilst still in uniform and then brushing down - ideally outside also helps enormously.
Adult lice are only a nuisance, easily combed away, it's when they lay eggs that you have real problems as the larvae and small nits go through the teeth.

Nits - uugh! Every parent's nightmare - Hate 'em.

AndyF

This si easy:

a) Don't drink your shampoo
b) Don't wash you hair with cooking oil

no problemo  (y)

kay

Dep said:
Adult lice are only a nuisance, easily combed away, it's when they lay eggs that you have real problems as the larvae and small nits go through the teeth.

What sort of  nit comb do you use? The ones with metal teeth have their teeth much closer together than the ones with plastic teeth. Don't know whether they get everything but they certainly get a lot of eggs.

W

wormster

The metal toothed ones are MUCH better than the placcy ones.

E

emgee

Peter Burgess said:
Given that

and

Discuss.

Don't see what the problem is a towel soaked in paraffin left wrapped round the hair overnight sorts out nits everytime. Obviously not suitable for smokers but it is a traditional remedy.

D

Dep

wormster said:

True.
But the real issue is getting the comb through long hair without hurting the child - the worst part was that no matter how gentle I was I always ended up pulling my daughter's hair really badly - a finer toothed comb would have been worse still. But yes, they are good in that they help remove the eggs too.

I also contend that no chemical remedy be it pharmaceutical cream, tea-tree oil - paraffin, vinegar etc is totally effective - it may deter or even kill 95% of lice but it is the remaining 5% that it doesn't affect that go on to lay eggs that are a real problem.

Fortunately we seem to be well on top of the problem. (touch wood!)

kay

Dep said:
True.
But the real issue is getting the comb through long hair without hurting the child - the worst part was that no matter how gentle I was I always ended up pulling my daughter's hair really badly - a finer toothed comb would have been worse still. But yes, they are good in that they help remove the eggs too.

First apply a handful of conditioner, or even a teacupful. Then use the normal hairbrush to get rid of tangles and spread the conditioner easily through the hair. After that, the metal comb should go through easily, provided you don't change direction and start combing some hair to the right that you were previously combing to the left. I've done it on my hair, which is waist length.

It's less messy doing this in the bath.

Peter Burgess

Dep said:
wormster said:

True.

I also contend that no chemical remedy be it pharmaceutical cream, tea-tree oil - paraffin, vinegar etc is totally effective - it may deter or even kill 95% of lice but it is the remaining 5% that it doesn't affect that go on to lay eggs that are a real problem.

Will you shave off all your hair if you get infested with the little devils, Dep?

ttxela

We found the main difficulty was getting everyone in the class/school to treat them at the same time, you can clear them all over the weekend then send them back on monday to get infested all over again. In the end I decided against regularly dousing my offspring in insecticide and just kept up the combing and conditioner.

Another method favoured by my ex. is to get a friend of hers to put my daughters hair in cornrows. Not sure about the look and apparently it costs a bit if you can't do it yourself. It did seem to work though, although if combing the hair is too uncomfortable then this is definitely not going to be a favourite.

Aren't we also always told that they prefer clean hair? If so maybe just letting your kids get really filthy so they all abandon ship in favour of a fresher scalp, maybe there is a downside to this approach too though.......

D

Dep

Peter Burgess said:
Dep said:
wormster said:

True.

Will you shave off all your hair if you get infested with the little devils, Dep?

Don't laugh it happened!  :eek:
Didn't have to shave my head but I was unimpressed to find them on me - several insecticide treatments later...
Fortunately I haven't seen any on the kids sincs last summer but mustn't get complacent.

TTxela's point about other kids in the class is the main part of the problem.
I remember being hands-on checked at school by the nurse regularly - sure you do too.
But it doesn't happen any more so some kids get really infested.

Makes me feel itchy just writing this!  :yucky:

Peter Burgess

gms_ud04_pb_ab_chestnuts.jpg

A rare shot of cavers preparing a lethal cocktail of nit-zapping pesticides. For safety reasons, this operation was performed deep underground and out of the gaze of public scrutiny.

Later that day, a willing volunteer applied the gunk to his hairy pate and within 24 hours was clearly pleased with the results.

hunters_hole_aug06_gr38.jpg

Now we just have to find a way to stop the hair falling out.