Anyone have Memoirs of Northern Mines Research Society M2/2

alastairgott

I'm looking for an article in the Memoirs (1971-1974) of the Northern Mines Research Society relating to mines of Derbyshire.

Sorry Mary and Jenny but I have checked the catalogue and cannot find it in the BCA library, but couldn't think of a better place to put the topic.  :)

alastairgott

Sorry, forgot it's M2/2 pages 75-78, i'm not sure how relevant they will be as they cover a lot of the Winster mines in those 4pages.

https://www.nmrs.org.uk/mines-map/index-of-articles-on-derbyshire-published-by-nmrs/

langcliffe

alastairgott said:
Sorry, forgot it's M2/2 pages 75-78, i'm not sure how relevant they will be as they cover a lot of the Winster mines in those 4pages.

https://www.nmrs.org.uk/mines-map/index-of-articles-on-derbyshire-published-by-nmrs/

That is simply a table of lead ore production by mine for the years 1832 -1848.

AR

I'm pretty sure the Library has a copy, I sorted through their collection of NCMRS/NMRS publications a few years back and pulled several duplicates out of the early stuff. I've got a copy of that one too and can scan you the relevant article if you like but as Langcliffe says, it's lists of ore production figures.

yrammy

We are still working through the massive job of cataloguing items so we may have it . We hold a few of those journals for sure . I will check on Wednesday. Failing that try the PDHMS library

https://pdmhs.co.uk/

If Jenny goes in before Weds she will no doubt check for you.

Mary

AR

You've definitely got a copy Mary,from recollection there were only a couple of the really hard-to-find 1960s NCMRS publications missing , this particular one is early 1970s. PDMHS do definitely have a complete set of NCMRS/NMRS publications.

moorebooks

alastairgott said:
I'm looking for an article in the Memoirs (1971-1974) of the Northern Mines Research Society relating to mines of Derbyshire.

Sorry Mary and Jenny but I have checked the catalogue and cannot find it in the BCA library, but couldn't think of a better place to put the topic.  :)

If you approach NMRS they will provide you with a copy of those pages

mike

Mike

alastairgott

Thanks for all your help everyone, but I thought it might include other information rather than the ore yields.

I've pulled out Lead Mining in Derbyshire #3 Elton to the via Gellia. Which I got given by Kevlar, as it was "cluttering" his shelves.

It suggests the site of interest had some visits 40 years ago. after the 'Winster earthquakes'.

AR

If you're referring to the work Op Mole did around Winster after the earthquake then it's a bit more than 40 years, the big quake was in 1952. Apart from what's in their records, there'll be info Doug Nash gave to Nellie Kirkham in her notes.

alastairgott

Ah, Referencing again... o_O , Worley 1979 on the winster earth tremors means it was written up in '79 PDHMS Vol. 7, no. 3. pg158-164.

Sorry AR  :sneaky: Sir, i'll go back to school.  :D

Jenny P

Just to confirm, although we haven't finished cataloguing so they won't be on the BCL online catalogue:

We have Memoirs of Northern Cavern & Mine Research Society, Vol.2, No.2, pp75-78.  The complete article is "Lead Ore Production in the High Peak,1832-48, Pt. 1, Winster Liberty" and it is almost entirely a list of production figures for the various mines.

We have PDMHS Bull. Vol.7, No.3, 1979, pp.158-164 "The Winster Earth Tremors" by Worley and Nash.  It includes quite a bit about the investigations in Plackett Mine.

If either of these are what is wanted, let BCL know and we'll scan and email them.