Old Wife Pothole, Great Whernside

Dave254

Does anyone have any knowledge of ?old wife pothole? on Great Whernside? I came across it whilst looking at an OS map.  It is just over 1km north west from the entrance to Mossdale next to the track leading up from Conistone
. I can?t seem to find it in Northern caves and a google trawl hasn?t brought anything back.

andys

Comparing the map and the aerial photos, I take it you mean the big depression just west of Swarthgill Hole?

Dave254

That?s the right area. On the conistone side of the track crosses Swarthgill there is a shake hole full of water just to the north of the track  that I am taking to be ?old wife?s pot well?.  Old wife?s pot would appear to be a separate entity around about SE 01032, 70375

Alex

Is this that pot that takes some of the Mossdale stream in flood, up stream or somewhere else?

langcliffe

Alex said:
Is this that pot that takes some of the Mossdale stream in flood, up stream or somewhere else?

Somewhere else - about 1 km ENE of Capplestone Gate. Personally, I've never been able to identify it when I have looked.