Today's downtime

bubba

Administrator
The server shut down coz I hadn't paid my bills - naughty bubba!

Basically I don't have much spare money at all these days so soon I will be putting up a paypal donation link in the hope that anyone who wants to keep ukcaving running and ad-free will feel that they get enough out of this forum to help me out a little. I've funded this site and ukb(ouldering.com) out of my own pocket for quite a number of years now, but now need to make them pay for themselves a little - ads suck so donations must be the way to go.

Anyway, moan over....sorry about the downtime and hopefully it won't all happen when I'm away on holiday next time!

SamT

cheers fella. I know its a becoming a bit of 'responsibility' for you these days.

Im sure a few of the regulars on here will chip in (Wont you.....)

I certainly will.

kay

SamT said:
cheers fella. I know its a becoming a bit of 'responsibility' for you these days.

Im sure a few of the regulars on here will chip in (Wont you.....)

I certainly will.

Of course. How much is the total needed? Gives some idea of what would be a sensible contribution from each of us.

H

hoehlenforscher

Yep no worries. Would happily give a donation to keep it ad free. As you say they suck!

bubba

Administrator
Thanks for the support folks - the whole server costs me about $600 p/year to run and I would never set a donation amount - owt is better than nowt as they say! If I ever get more than necessary, the extra will be ploughed back into the sites...

Can give out a snail mail addy if folks don't want to use paypal.

Will try to get something set up this week.

Peter Burgess

How many 'clubs' do you know where the founding member pays for everything, and there are no membership fees?

As for adverts, the only exception I would consider OK would be caving equipment and suppliers. Many users of the site would probably welcome a convenient page where they could get in touch with equipment vendors. It would also be a useful place to refer queries about getting kit for beginners.

bubba

Administrator
Peter Burgess said:
As for adverts, the only exception I would consider OK would be caving equipment and suppliers. Many users of the site would probably welcome a convenient page where they could get in touch with equipment vendors. It would also be a useful place to refer queries about getting kit for beginners.

I agree on having an equipment links page or something, but I reckon adverts impact the impartiality of a site. Suppose we carry a paid advert for lamp X but it turns out that everybody thinks they're rubbish and says so on the forum - I can imagine the advertiser getting a bit pissy and then they have some sort of financial say in the content of the site.

I know I'm probably exagerating the issue, but I always prefer ad free sites myself coz they're a rarity these days.

bubba

Administrator
My addy is:

2 Cloonmore Drive,
Norton,
Sheffield,
S8 8JN.

Can't say how much I appreciate this :) :)

Roger W

Bubba - I didn't realise you paid for this site out of your beer money!

Will be back in UK in September - will see what I can do.

You don't accept Renminbi, do you?

SamT

Roger W said:
Bubba - I didn't realise you paid for this site out of your beer money!

Will be back in UK in September - will see what I can do.

You don't accept Renminbi, do you?

something from china I guess