New forum niggles

bubba

Administrator
Still trying to iron out speed issues with the new forum software.

I've re-installed the php accelerator which has helped a bit, and have been playing with database settings to not much avail.

I'm a bit pissed off that a widely available piece of software based upon the very fast phpBB performs so badly. Ok, I should have stress-tested it locally before going live but I cut corners.

I've lost all the uploaded avatars and attached files
Well, all I can say is I made a blunder there - sorry.

What else?
The RSS feed is still down, and some of the handy mods like the "suppress avatars and signature mod" are missing.

D

Dave H

Better a site running slightly slowly, than a hacked one!
Good luck!

I'm going back to testing some embedded code (I think this is week 13 of debugging and testing!!!)

SamT

Ah well - keep up the good work.

I'll try and find my avatar to load up again.
whats with the emoticons too - are they going back to how they were of is it my resolution.

bubba

Administrator
The new emoticons are nicer I think - but I'll be adding some more that I've found.

SamT

'New posts' at the top is always one out when you click on it.
e.g.
"new posts(3)"
Click
"2 messages found"

bubba

Administrator
you'll have to live with that one for a while :LOL:

there's more pressing stuff to be doing!

dunc

whats with the emoticons too - are they going back to how they were of is it my resolution.
I have that problem too - some of them look a bit blocky whilst others are fine.......

bubba

Administrator
SamT said:
'New posts' at the top is always one out when you click on it.
e.g.
"new posts(3)"
Click
"2 messages found"

This could also occur if there's more than one post inside the same topic - 3 new posts could all be in one topic....

bubba

Administrator
restored the "last post text on hover over" mod thingy.

re-ordered the forums into sub-forums (yay! at last) to tidy up the overcrowded main forum page.

bubba

Administrator
Hopefully the new "sub forums" layout has mad the site a bit easier to navigate from the front page.

bubba

Administrator
More RAM has been added at the server which is making the forums run much better now, but putting a bigger dent in my pocket ;)

SamT

What about memberlist - cant find that anywhere

oh and whats all this rss feed about, am I missing sommat.

bubba

Administrator
You can get the memberlist from the portal page.

RSS feeds are great and lots of websites have them nowdays - I mainly use them for news/IT updates.

You need a feed reader - I recommend FeedDemon.

You can then check loads of updates from sites all in one place without having to actually visit all of those sites individually.

Cave_Troll

can i request a change in colour scheme.
apart form anythiugn else i find it very hard to spot the icons that says "new posts in this sub folder"

bubba

Administrator
Cave_Troll said:
can i request a change in colour scheme.
apart form anythiugn else i find it very hard to spot the icons that says "new posts in this sub folder"

Why not use the "View posts since last visit" link, then you can easily see all new posts?

But point taken, though I'm going to keep this theme as the default, I will install a colour scheme that is a bit.....plainer....which you'll be able to select from your profile page.

bubba

Administrator
Weird - it is actually there, but I can't see it either - it's just below the "log out" link - your mouse icon will change and that's the link.

I'll have to sort this but don't have time today....