Water Icicle Extensions?

zomjon

I bumped into the two diggers about 3/4 weeks ago and they were both quite confident that  the conservation work was done and that 'cave scienjtists' had visited and that access arrangements would have been sorted out in about two weeks from then. Just wondered if things were progressing or a blip had been encountered?

JonP

surely conservation work cant have take 6 months+ I mean it was already taped what not.

Antwan

JonP said:
surely conservation work cant have take 6 months+ I mean it was already taped what not.
Were there not two digs that 'went'? First the one on left as you approach the great rift, then one high in an aven (with a dig ongoing below with rubber matting on the floor?) at the end of the larger passage, Which is the one that has been gated?

paul

JonP said:

Yes the taping has been done. The wait has nothing to do with taping.

From the original posting re the gate:
"At the request of Natural England, DCA has agreed that a gate should be placed on the new extensions to Water Icicle Close Cavern, which is part of a Scheduled Site of Scientific Interest (SSSI).  This is to ensure the protection of the very fragile floor deposits, which were carefully taped by the original explorers when they were first found, and to allow cave scientists to examine the new section while it is still, as far as possible, in pristine condition."

In fact I was in Water Icicle yesterday evening with two cave scientists who were studying the Geomorphology, so the scientific work is still being carried out. This particular cave seems to be of great scientific interest due to some unique features in the Peak District and possibly also age. This isn't a Time Team dig over three days. The investigation take time, samples need to be taken, tests to be carried out. The important thing is that the features are not disturbed as then they would become worthless from a scientific point of view. Plus the scientists are not able to visit all the time as they have other work to do as well.

Saying that, as already said, access is to be allowed very shortly, even though the scientific work is not complete.

Mind you, the new section will probably be an anticlimax to most cavers as it just involves 10 minutes of easy walking...

However, as I have already said an announcement on access arrangements will be made very soon.

Were there not two digs that 'went'? First the one on left as you approach the great rift, then one high in an aven (with a dig ongoing below with rubber matting on the floor?) at the end of the larger passage, Which is the one that has been gated?
The dig which went and where the gate was installed is at the end of North-West Passage  - I assume this is the one you're thinking off when you refer to the high aven and rubber matting.

Jenny P

Arrangements have now been made to enable access to the new extensions in Water Icicle Close Cavern.

Full details are given on the website of Orpheus Caving Club: www.orpheuscavingclub.org.uk

Jenny Potts
Secretary, Derbyshire Caving Association

dunc

One wonders how many other new discoveries will go down the road of having fairly restricted access? Looks like the scene is set now..

Mark

dunc said:
One wonders how many other new discoveries will go down the road of having fairly restricted access? Looks like the scene is set now..

The scene is definitely not set, go and help yourself to Jims new discovery in Eldon Quarry,

Proper pretty, and will never have a gate

Big Jim

Too rate, trying to work out how to let cavers in but not bats. Dont want them shitting in the gours or schnickeling through straws.

Bloody Bats ;)

J

zomjon

Not enough said Rick, this is possibly setting a horrible precedent that is seemingly sending us in the Peaks down the same route as the Mendips. Guided! Is this bit of passage of the quality (and difficulty) of Otter? Even the fantastic delights of Craig A Ffynnon are free of a guide now. Only a short while back Paul Lydon described the passage thus: 'Mind you, the new section will probably be an anticlimax to most cavers as it just involves 10 minutes of easy walking...' Are all Orpheus members in favour of this decision? Possibly I should wait until I take one of these tours, but I think this stinks!

Jenny P

The need for the gate will continue to be under revue. 

For the moment it is needed but if, after consideration and discussion between all the parties involved, it is decided a gate is no longer required, then it will be either removed completely, fitted with a nut/bolt system requiring a "Derbyshire key" or left completely unlocked.  In the event, you will be informed.

Jenny Potts,
Hon. Sec. DCA

cavermark

zomjon said:
Not enough said Rick, this is possibly setting a horrible precedent....

Is it not the diggers' perrogative to choose whether to gate or not to gate until they feel they have done the exploration/conservation work?
Just as there is a bit of etiquette about not pinching an active dig, don't the people who did all the work have the right to manage their discoveries as they choose?
I don't believe the wider caving community has a "right to roam" straight after breakthrough in all new discoveries unless they have put some time into the digging. If you feel contacting a club, or getting a key for access to a particular site is too much hassle then there are plenty of other places to go... 

cavermark

Rob said:
Apart from to maybe stop those pesky little bats from trashing the stal...
A large version of one of those electric fly killers in the entrance could do it - you also might catch the odd peregrine or Eldon member too if you were lucky!