A Cautionary Tale

Gerbil007

I've been caving for more or less bang on a year now. I know that doesn't sound a lot, but in that time I've done a LOT of caving (average 10 hours caving per week in a variety of systems) and feel that I've built up a level of experience disproportionate to the length of time i've been active in the sport. Because I'd done a lot in a short time and progressed quite quickly, I'd become cocky. No other word for it. Been getting to think along the lines of no trip too big, no squeeze too small. Yesterday, this attitude got me bitten.
Because I often have time midweek, when few are available to do trips, I've taken to doing the occasional solo trip. I'm well aware of the risks and people's thoughts on the subject, and initially felt that I was well in control and managing the risks well...obviously not well enough as it turned out.
Yesterday, I decided to visit New Renascence in Swildon's. I'd previously been as far as Black Chamber in Renascence, but missed the low entrance to New Renascence. I read the Mendip Underground description of the entrance to the series ("The start is not imposing. The low crawl drops into a small rift chamber with a sump in the bottom corner. This is bypassed at roof level by an intimidating, but not particularly difficult, squeeze down over flowstone.") and was filled with confidence. It sounded a piece of cake.
I had a good trip until then. I was moving well, making good time, and the Sidcot U-tube was open with loads of airspace. Arriving at the entrance to NR, I had a breather and a drink, time-checked (12.05pm) then crawled in to have a look. It was pretty small, but I could see that there was plenty of room in the rift chamber, so slithered in feet first. In retrospect, i'd obviously mistaken this initial entrance crawl for the 'roof level squeeze over flowstone' mentioned in Mendip Underground, whereas in actual fact, that was the next bit I had to tackle, which for some stupid reason I did head first. Initially, it wasn't too difficult; the most strenuous part being holding myself over the gap at the top of the rift. I slithered down the slope, quickly finding that it was pretty snug. Because my helmet prevented my head from moving fully, I took it off and held it out in front. The passage got smaller. Again stupidly, I'd somehow managed to leave my right arm behind and after getting maybe just over a body length in, found myself unable to make further progress . By no means am I a small bloke, but squeezes haven't ever really bothered me. I've always been able to control my breathing and stay relaxed, but finding myself stuck facing downhill, with an arm completely trapped behind me was a new and horrible experience for me.
I forced myself to stop and breathe deeply... to think. Firstly, I cursed myself for taking off my helmet. I was now terrified that it would slide out of reach down the slope, leaving me with no light. (I had taken off my waist bag containing my third light before going in.) I managed to pull it up enough to clasp the strap between my teeth and freed up my hand. Next up was whether I should try to continue past the constriction or reverse. I decided that reversing upslope with only one hand in front of me was a non-starter, so began to try and wriggle forwards. This only succeeded in wedging me tighter, and I found that I was now in quite a bit of pain as I began to lose the fight to keep my breathing rate down and my chest tried to expand into space that simply wasn't there. My mind was now absolutely racing. I began to wonder if this was the right passage, or just some squalid little failed dig. If it was the latter, then how long would it take before bad air became a problem? I'd set my call out time as 6pm. Almost five hours away. At the very least I reckoned on eight hours before help might conceivably arrive. The thought crossed my mind that I might not be able to stay conscious that long.  These thoughts were not helping, so I tried to drown them out by talking. Calling myself an arrogant, cocky wanker out loud. A selfish bastard to have got myself into this on my wife's birthday of all days. I had to get control quickly. I was starting to see coloured circles in front of my eyes and that heavy feeling of blood collecting in my head. Somehow, I mastered my breathing. The forced relaxation cost me a few centimetres as I slipped slightly further down, but I did manage to adopt shallower breaths and clear my head. Despite what I'd thought about reversing being impossible, I decided that it would have to be tried. Trying to marshall my energy, I deliberately counted two minutes out loud, then focused every sinew on forcing myself backwards. It didn't take long for the coloured circles to come back, so I began a pattern of thrashing my body in an attempt to reverse until panic threatened, forcing myself to calm down, then repeat.
I wasn't really aware of any progress I was making, my mind being utterly focused on channeling my efforts into retreat. Progress I did though, as I suddenly became aware that I had a little more room and could almost get my right arm through. At this point, I lay still for quite a while in an effort to recover and loosely replaced my helmet. Another prolonged effort saw me regain my right arm, which was a complete revelation, and allowed me to make the final foot or so required to drop me back down into the rift chamber, where I only just managed to resist the urge to sob like a child.
After getting myself fully out, and back into Renascence, I checked my watch again. 1.10pm. I'd probably been stuck for the best part of an hour.
My next worry was simply getting out of the cave. I was absolutely dog tired and could hardly lift my left arm. I actually considered sleeping for a while! I could tell I was badly dehydrated. I sweat easily at the best of times, and had only drunk a third of a bottle of lucozade on the trip so far. I got rid of as much of the mud from the bottle's nozzle as I could and more or less inhaled the lot! Once I got moving, I recovered a little, but just couldn't wait to get back to the streamway. I don't know why, but I was absolutely desperate to hear the sound of running water. Only when I reached it, and got up the twenty, did I feel the flood of relief at getting out.

I wasn't going to post this, but then thought that if i'd read it before attempting my trip, I might have thought twice about doing a solo trip to somewhere unfamiliar. Solo caving isn't for everyone, but I definitely enjoy it occasionally and will probably do it again. Next time though, it will be somewhere I know inside out. I also thought that it might be food for thought for others who, like me, are absolutely mad keen, feeling bulletproof and maybe feeling like they have something to prove, to themselves or others.
I've been humbled, but am hopefully a better caver for it. I hope to be able to return, accompanied next time, to New Renascence and have another go. I will be attempting it feet first!

Hatstand

Great write up dude. I hope you don't get swamped with "only idiots solo cave" replies because I think that would be to miss the point. I can fully imagine the trip back out being hard work. My last solo trip to Swildons was horrible, although my problem was all in my head not a physical epic like yours... ...but the temptation to rush out was huge and it took a lot of effort to be careful and avoid further problems. Oddly, I'm not feeling much like solo caving at the moment, but when it works it can be so rewarding. Thanks for sharing the experience though  :beer:

Maggot

Glad to hear you got out OK!
Agreed you can't always find someone to go underground with in the week, especially if it's a last minute trip. I've soloed in Swildons a couple of times, and in the stone mines round Box, but I always stick to the bits I know - I don't fancy getting lost in Box, and I never go past the twenty in Swildons.

Goydenman

What a great account and thank you for sharing it with such openness and honesty I think it will be a help to others. 'What does not kill you makes you stronger they say' and it is certainly true that surviving epics provides you experiences that show you your limits and what metal you have, how important training and techniques  are and so much more. I have done lots of soloing in caving but my real epics have been solo climbing and cave diving.

damian

I guess you've worked these out now, but if I'm caving on my own I make sure I have 3 independent light source, two of which are around my neck and not on my helmet. I am also much less generous with callout times.

mrodoc

The main thing is you're out. You aren't the first to find himself in such a situation. If it's still on line read the late Dave Yeandle's (Pooh) description of his solo Dowbergill trip. Apart from being scary it is also hilariously funny and was done in the days of carbide when plenty could go wrong with your light ... Try http://www.diadembooks.com/yeandle.htm

paul

Excellent posting - my breathing rate was increased just reading about your epic.

There was  a sad vent in th eUS a little while ago in a cave called Nutt Putty cave wherea caver in a similar predicament but I believe the end of the tube was downhill.Unfortunately despite the efforts of the Cave Rescue team, he didn't make it.

I wouldn't call a solo caver an "idiot" no more than I would a solo climber (I've done both myself in the past). Of course it's more risky and dangerous but without risk, there's no such thing as adventure. It's a question of calculating and managing the risks. The reward in personal saticfaction and sense of accomplishment greatly increases with increased but calculated risk.

graham

mrodoc said:
The main thing is you're out. You aren't the first to find himself in such a situation. If it's still on line read the late Dave Yeandle's (Pooh) description of his solo Dowbergill trip. Apart from being scary it is also hilariously funny and was done in the days of carbide when plenty could go wrong with your light ... Try http://www.diadembooks.com/yeandle.htm

I remember one weekend many years ago in the Dales. We'd been discussing some unfortunate incident on the way to the pub; as we walked in through the door I remember saying "Talking of caving accidents, hello Pooh!" A lovely bloke and much missed.

Oceanrower

Nice write up Kev. Hope you don't let Sue read that! Still haven't got you down to sump 6 yet. When are you around next? I've got a second pony set now :)

Maggot

mrodoc said:
If it's still on line read the late Dave Yeandle's (Pooh) description of his solo Dowbergill trip. Apart from being scary it is also hilariously funny and was done in the days of carbide when plenty could go wrong with your light ... Try http://www.diadembooks.com/yeandle.htm
Looks like a good book; however the advert at the top of the page doesn't inspire confidence in their services
professional's.jpg

mrodoc

Didn't spot the superfluous bloody hyphen. Actually the publishers Diadem are quite respectable - published the Darkness Beckons etc. Also bloody homonyms get me. I have seen them in newspaper headlines. one recent example was a reference to a bomb being 'diffused' - a neat thing if you can achieve it ;)

Peter Burgess

mrodoc said:
Didn't spot the superfluous bloody hyphen. Actually the publishers Diadem are quite respectable - published the Darkness Beckons etc. Also bloody homonyms get me. I have seen them in newspaper headlines. one recent example was a reference to a bomb being 'diffused' - a neat thing if you can achieve it ;)
The Darkness Beckon's is an excellent book!

An excellent write up. Perhaps a bit of research in advance? To quote from "Swildon's Hole 100 Years of Exploration"

The route to New Renascence, a small passage (RHP) on the right approximately 25m from the start of Renascence, is not impressive. The low entrance crawl, however, quickly opens out into a scalloped rift, which drops to a static sump. THIS SUMP IS NOT FREE-DIVEABLE and has only been passed by syphoning it from the far side. The sump can be passed at roof level by a squeeze through a "chemically-enlarged" eyehole followed by a small descending tube with a further squeeze. Beyond the latter, the far side of the sump is encountered, a 2m deep pool to the right. Here it is possible to turn around. The easiest was to negotiate the sump bypass is headfirst. However, as this approach is rather intimidating and very committing it is recommended to enter this section of passage feet first especially if there are any doubts about being able to pass the squeezes. Also beware of throwing any items ahead because they may disappear into the depths of the sump pool!

When Ali Moody gives a warning like this I would always be very cautious!